Y-pedal's two stage RC drive..........

Lucky_Hoodlum said:
I think you would be using at least 24in tire diameter also? Maybe try doing 30mph on 20in wheel size and see how bad it is when you hit bumps, smaller wheel size wont handle the bumps anywhere near as smoothly, hit a bump fast enough say bye bye to your rim.?

Oh yeah, all 26" rims, and with the hookworms the wheel is even taller, that would be a huge difference.

Lucky_Hoodlum said:
I can't understand why anyone would use hardtail either, these drives seem perfect for downhill bike like the deecanio member is using. Why use a bmx frame at all? Very impractical and total waste of great drive i think, BMX designed for 40-50second use around a track in race on prepared surface not for everyday transport on differing surfaces, they are small and designed to be ridden standing up not seated. Why not fit it too your daily ride? all this money spent on rc components thrown away on an impractical setup seems silly to me, can you explain the reasoning please?

Maybe I am missing something, the s-750 ypedal has pictured above is designed for 26" wheels, I don't think of it as a BMX frame. I found my hardtail xtracycle to be the most versitile daily commuter I built.

-JD

Looks like a BMX bike to me, thats also a 20 in rim on the back isn't? Latest drive and motor combination
i think deserves a nice full suspension bike, this is my opinion of it.

I can't understand why anyone would use hardtail either, these drives seem perfect for downhill bike like the deecanio member is using.
Why use a bmx frame at all? Very impractical and total waste of great drive i think, BMX designed for 40-50second use around a track in race on prepared surface not for
everyday transport on differing surfaces, they are small and designed to be ridden standing up not seated. Why not fit it too your daily ride? all this money spent
on rc components thrown away on an impractical setup seems silly to me, can you explain the reasoning please?

to each his own, I was raised on bmx and have ridden long distances without any problem and although its not quite as efficient as a road bike with skinny tires for me its more about the feel of the bike. IMO no other ride feels better standing and pedaling than a bmx, acceleration is fast, and the frame feels stronger. honestly if I had to ride 20 miles and had the choice I would choose the road bike, but bmx has it's place and for certain situations no other bike is better :mrgreen:

personally i really like it, looks like a solid frame with massive battery storage potential.
Is the nuvinci in a 20 Y?
Looks like you have a mass of room behind the seatpost too Y - i would be thinking of using two stems to clamp the bugger behind the seatpost stretched out straight if poss (ala Gary) and have that triangle for your packs? Monster.
Looking forward to your build Y - lets hope its quicker than the cyclone :shock:

Cheers<

D

Not to encourage too much sidetrack discussion, but..............

If I had only one bike to ride and no other, it would not be a BMX bike unless all my riding was in town with curbs and other obstacles to hop over and no long distances to cover. However, each bike style fills a particular niche. That is why they are bought. I love recumbents for cumfy, really fast riding. However, it must be a well scouted surface that I know well. I neve go fast on a road I do not know well. A

As for my BMX bike; the point to building it was to see how much power I could fit into the smallest, lightest package. It is an exercise in E-bike street-rod building. VERY fun to ride. Not very fun for gentle "Enjoying the scenery" riding. That is for my recumbent.

If I had to have only one bike for all around riding, I would say my full suspension mountain bike would get the nod. That is my next bike to build up anyway. Knowing that, I was fine building a crazy BMX bike that will not be ridden every day.

Y has a number of bikes. This will not be his only ride. Heck, even if it becomes his favorite, he still has others to ride.

Matt

Ok.. some clarification.

Yes, the Nuvinci is in a 20" rim. will use 20 x 2" hookworm tires at 50psi ( rated for up to 110psi ! but that makes for a harsh ride )

The frame was originally for 26", but i'm going 20" front and back.

The front end is going to be suspended, likely double crown forks with hydraulic disk brakes.

I have an eZee bike for the wet weather, this thing is submersible, my Chopper for weekend fun and friends, my Norco Chaos full suspension with 72v 20ah for long range comfort, BMX is now getting a 400w Kol motor modded with a 72v clyte controller, and a Trek with a E-Bikekit.com rear hub . so i'm not short on bikes ! lol..

This one, for now, is a proof of concept, i need to sort out the controller, throttle, gearing, mounts, test the RC motor's capabilities and once all that pans out.. will move all the gear to a full suspension frame ! I have all the parts already for this build on hand, so no need to go buy a full suspension frame for testing.. and i can't tear my Norco down as it's my commuter ( i don't own a car !! )

So bear with me.. this is only the beginning !

:wink:

Ypedal said:
.. will move all the gear to a full suspension frame !

So bear with me.. this is only the beginning !

:wink:

This i look forward to Ypedal best luck getting this working.

Those frames are nice, I built one up for a friend a year or two back. Having a bike shop in the garage sure has allowed me to build a ton of frames for friends.

Can't wait to hear your reports! That should be one screaming ride. I vote for mounting it in the front triangle or rear triangle. I wouldn't put that sucker close to the road for anything.

Hi Y,

Ypedal said:
Ok.. some clarification.

This one, for now, is a proof of concept, i need to sort out the controller, throttle, gearing, mounts, test the RC motor's capabilities and once all that pans out.. will move all the gear to a full suspension frame ! I have all the parts already for this build on hand, so no need to go buy a full suspension frame for testing.. and i can't tear my Norco down as it's my commuter ( i don't own a car !! )

The one thing people have been having trouble with is the mount. Unless you have a mount that works on both frames you will be going through that twice. Have you considered moving all the gear from the Norco to the TF (which should be relatively easy) and using the TF for a commuter until you finish the Norco?

8)

go Y!!!!!!!
programming cable too, very astute :mrgreen:
should be up and running this week then? video ? LOL

D

can't be a bad thing Matt, must mean your doing something right :mrgreen:

btw Y - do you remember that picture you posted of the way fat chopper??? i know theres been a few from you but this one was wild, kinda like the terminator bike?

Cheers,

D

Hey D !

I can't recall exactly where that came from, but it does sound familiar... T50 or something like that ???

Question for Matt or anyone who knows..

i'm about to order a 16,18 and 22t ENO from " www.Bikeman.com ( best price i've found so far.. ) and want to get some half link chain.. will a regular chain tool work on these ? and are the ENO's 1/8th pitch ?

:lol:

next item on my list... set screws !!!

I mounted the Hookworm tire to the Nuvinci tonight !! .. looks sweeet ! :p

Yes the half link chain is 1/8 inch pitch.

It is a trials chain. They are tough to find in stock, though.

The chain can be broken with a normal chain tool.

Matt

Ditto !! i'm itching to get this bike done and on the road !!!....

Today i picked up all the parts to build up the front end, RST Launch fork, 24" sun rim Single Trac rim, Avid BB5 disk brake and lever,Ritchey 1 1/8" headset, Titec WellBent bars.. Stem.. freeride tube, 2.3" kenda tire.. jagwire cable housings for the NuVinci hub..

Attachments

• rc1.JPG
    rc1.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 2,391
Looks like an awesome project!!

That NuVinci hub will be awesome...even with the small efficiency hit...!

How are you going to orient the drive? Parallel to the left side ? series-through
the NuVinci?

Back