Motobecane DS Fantom, BMC 600W torque and now Lipo build

You can't go wrong with the a123's. They just didn't provide the densities I needed. I have 80 cell sitting around for the kona build when I get a decent controller that won't blow on me. I don't need the distance for that build.

I've done several rides on the new packs. So far I'm very happy with the setup. The measured IR from the Hyperion charger is 21 milli-ohms It's actually has been going down since initial charge which I recorded as 41 milli-ohms. The usable amp hours is 13. The packs are only charged to 95% and stopped at 32 volts. They feel solid on the bike, just like the last pack. I've taken some good size jumps, no issues.

I've used double stick tape and Kevlar straps to secure the packs just like last time. I find this to be a reliable way to hold the packs to the frame.
Mounted pack lt.jpg
Mounted pack rt.jpg

Once the wiring is done, It's taped down with non yellowing duct tape to prevent the soft silicone wires from chaffing. I highly recommend you do this since I've had issues with silicone wires in the past. I will avoid using it when I can. It's best to use automotive or marine grade wiring. It is much more durable and more appropriate for the type of conditions an ebike will be exposed to.

Attachments

• wires taped to prevent chaffing.jpg
    wires taped to prevent chaffing.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,154
Packs are still doing well and are staying balanced. I'm not seeing any irregularities, the IR is hovering around 21 milliohms. I'm getting around 20 miles of hard trail riding with pedal input. 15 miles if I don't pedal. This pretty much covers all the local trails I have here. I plan to do some more packs with this method, since I can't see or know what's physically going on with the packs, it's still very experimental.

Still fighting flats, current setup.
Front Stan's no flat with ghetto tubeless rims. Will just have to clean it out every season.
Rear need to come up with a rim lock. Tore a hole due to the stress on the tire stem, causing a flat.
Currently using a thorn tube and a Kevlar lined tire. Removed the old tire liner to save weight, and see how these types of tires hold up. I think the liner allowed the tire to slip, not getting such severe movements now. Bike is holding up to all the trail abuse and drops.

Been just riding this bike all summer. Finally given up on the tubeless tire route. It seemed unreliable for jumps, it could be due to the ghetto rim setup. Any large drops, would cause a separation and eventual rim leak. Gone back to tubes, and liners; but finding Kevlar tires to be an acceptable route to take.

Finally had a break down, the side plate of the BMC motor had worked itself loose. This gave the impression of bad worn out bearings. I had so much lateral movement, that I could rock the rear tires side to side a bit. Motor is currently off the bike. I had initially tried to just tighten the screws, but it didn't help. What I found was the bearing had also rocked itself out and caused the plate not to seat. I needed to remove the press fit bearing completely to clean out any possible dirt before pressing it back. The bearing seemed fine after inspection, bike should be up and running this weekend.

While looking at Ebikes.ca spoke calculator, I had noticed an Isis torque sensor. I originally turned down the Thun version since it was a tapered crank. This Isis bb had me thinking about getting rid of the throttle again, so I ordered one. I will post how it turns out in the days ahead, and the mods I plan to do to make it workable for trail riding.

Second season for the new pack. Running good after sitting in the garage all winter. Pulled 12.5 ahr from it and did my usual bloomer park ride. Had a couple of crashes, but nothing extreme. Just sloppy riding. Some new jumps added, but still not comfortable enough to try them. Too sharp of a takeoff, and sketchy landing.

Need to get the second trail bike running which is a bbs02 middrive. That way I can work on this bike and install the torque sensor and new CA.

Back