Another full suspension build

(Don't read, :confused: he's keystroking)
( & I'm typing to spend time, please don't quote me { off the record } :banana:
DogDipstick said:
What the....?!?!?!??!

I just wanted to see a bike, man.

........ not the ramblings of a ... madman, or someone on drugs...

WTF is this thread full of? Lol. Not bikes, thats for sure. Maybe, nobody will ever know. Yeah pretty sure thats it.

Tl:Dr;
You're on drugs, right?

Lol

So what Lessons can we draw from that interaction?

When I was a kid people told me "There ain't no such thing as a FREE LUNCH". :wink:

This was:
* Before the internet
* Before cellular connectivity
* Before the computer even existed

(BEFORE THE COMPUTER was widely available or available at all in any form)

We are now a couple/few decades into the strangest free lunch you could ever imagine. Although Google (and others like Wikipedia) have made a hell of an effort to collect highly accurate (aka moderated) information and make it "freely" available. . . that would be the absolute outlier of this study.

Most information that is posted on the Internet is there for a reason (other) than to help you.

Generally speaking
* Advertising
* Changing your opinion on something

So, for the most part, most information is posted on the internet in a direct or abstract attempt to move "money" from your pocket into someone elses pocket. ... Nothing wrong with that, but it does skew things a little bit.

I wonder what the internet would look like if it were not run by Economics? :shock:

Sometimes information is shared for other reasons
* Church Groups trying to rope you in
* Lonely people trying to earn your admiration

It can get real easy to lap this free lunch up from the trough. Taking help...

Generally speaking we consider the cost of "Free Lunch" to be Karmic. So... so long as you in turn help others... most people give away their help for free. To track this we have simple search queries. Probably SQL?

-methods

A quick search of DogDipstick's posting (random depth plunge) show that he is engaged and likely useful.

Search.png

Well
On this forum, where we do not advertise or take outside money (other than from a man who rides his bike across continents) that is the minimum entrance fee.

So
After careful analysis that took me 4.2 seconds ->

Welcome friend. :) I am glad you are here and interacting. If you ever decide that you want to talk about something other than what you are already talking about, just say so. I and many others are here to interact with you.

-methods

People are likely misinterpreting the subject line. The ebike build is fully suspended. Just check back when the suspension is lifted :thumb:

I recall when working with PVC a long long time ago with my da (>50yrs), we cut to length, slapped on some cement and assembled. 20 years later they came out with that purple primer stuff. Does that really make a difference? I think some areas require under code. Maybe it matters more for an in home install rather than just landscaping.

E-HP said:
People are likely misinterpreting the subject line. The ebike build is fully suspended. Just check back when the suspension is lifted :thumb:

Lol - so true.
Lamest build ever :lol: That's what happens when you have kids. You should see what happened to my manhood after I got married. Same shit will happen to you guys, just wait and see.

BHotdog.jpg
(not my picture)

anyway

E-HP said:
I recall when working with PVC a long long time ago with my da (>50yrs), we cut to length, slapped on some cement and assembled. 20 years later they came out with that purple primer stuff. Does that really make a difference? I think some areas require under code. Maybe it matters more for an in home install rather than just landscaping.

Absolutely
You can weld PVC all day without hitting it first with a solvent, especially if it is clean.

If you get into fussier bonds. . . surface prep is everything. Grease, oils, other shit. . . this stuff lowers the reliability of the weld. The way I think about it is::

* Cut clean and straight, clean well, use good glue, guaranteed a good joint to the specification of the pipe.
* Cheese the job, yea - no doubt it will work.

But then I have seen some gnarly d-lams in other areas.

To further back your statement... I never wait until the PVC has fully cured. I wait about 15 minutes then keep building. I have never had a PVC failure, even from UV... but then... I dont run mine under any sort of pressure. The stuff is rated GNARLY -> So... if you are actually using it to its specification... in that case I would follow procedure.

-methods

goatman said:
232 notifications and 144 private messages , you might want to check those :lol:

I know -
You should see my work email. :shock:

For that matter, you should see my 5 email accounts :confused:

I gave up long ago.
If it is not an emergency, I just let it slide.

-methods

Getting back to suspension:
methods said:
file.php

Not concerned about where to mount the battery. That is easy to solve. I like mine lower than higher. I never put it over the front or rear wheel. I prefer not to have it high on the bar. Somewhere hanging in the middle was the best for me. I dont like the feeling of a bunch of weight (anywhere) high on the bike, and especially not over the front or rear wheels (Riding data I collected, your opinion is your opinion)
So that means you are planning to suspend the battery from the downtube, am I right? What battery form factor? Still the EV bricks you talked about earlier? How will you avoid front tire interference upon front shock full compression?

My first 10 or 15 bikes did not come out like I had hoped. I found the following to be true.

* Letting go of the assumption that the install must be symmetrical was pivotal.

* When riding a horse or motorcycle I pinch with my knees. On my downhill bikes, I find myself cross-kneed seeking stability

* I think of myself as a mass on a spring. Springs are my two legs, a-arms are my arms. . . my goal is to let the bike go up and down as much as it likes. . . while I move as little as possible. When "running the rocks" the trick is to keep my center of mass going on some vector while my legs are anywhere from fully extended to full crouch. This lowers the amount of acceleration I pick up... ... when my son is riding his bike (ass on the seat) and he hits a bump -> He gets launched.

* I have tucked cells right up under the tire. That bike was a Kona Stinky and it had triple-clamps with really long legs. I dont think I ever fully compressed it.

So
From those experiences...

* I will be building out to the sides, specifically non-symmetrical
* I will blend the edges with a focus on where my knees and thighs squeeze the assembly
* I will make no attempt at being stealth on this build - it is about the "long ride"
* I will make no attempt to be light, this one needs to "go forever"
* I will make no attempt at getting a good side profile. . .

These days,
Many of the high end bikes in Santa Cruz are so sexy that they make me grow a (fem)rection. I figure. . . even with all the CAD support and modeling. . . that SOMETHING must be given up to get these pretty lines.

So
I am going with the tried and true: "If it is new, and it works, then it ain't going to be pretty. Pretty is for version 9"

EH...
Mentally dumping... digging around...

* Rub on the front tire to the batteries never got me
* Clunking my waffles got me the most!
* Clunking my bottom bracket got me a lot!
* Silence under acceleration is valuable.
* Cops like ebikes

:bigthumb:

er. . . we should be clear that the seller of that bike never got back to me. I dont even know what my frame will be yet, but I am clear to procure Batteries, Controller, Throttle, CA, and other goods. Whatever I end up with. . . is what I will go with.

If you have ever watched a master working wood in a garage... they dont dig and dig and dig for the perfect piece of wood (usually). They work with the wood, and make what they have come together.

This is the sport of it for me - not knowing. . . but then also (at some level) KNOWING that whatever frame and components I am given for the competition. . . I WILL put together a functioning piece of "last mile" transportation.

Things Missing?

* More Bike Cages, where I can park my bike and not worry about it being disassembled by River-Tweakers
* More high speed bike lanes
* Less hippy girls pedaling at 7mph, 1/3 of the way into the full size vehicle lane (eh hem)
* More emphasis on how to survive impacts @ speeds over 22mph

K - Gotta go
Whatever you do will be rad. The best advice I have for building an ebike. . . (is sadly...) JUST DO IT

!Because!

* This is not the last build
* You can rebuild it 30 or 40 times
* Iterate to the win

I was an incompetent bike retard when I got here. . . and now I feel like I can do anything. Same was true when I got to the Endyn Forums. I did not know the intake manifold from the exhaust pipe. . . but by the time I left. . . I felt like I could fix ANYTHING that ever went wrong with a car.

And I can :idea:

-methods

methods said:
These days,
Many of the high end bikes in Santa Cruz are so sexy that they make me grow a (fem)rection. I figure. . . even with all the CAD support and modeling. . . that SOMETHING must be given up to get these pretty lines.

So
I am going with the tried and true: "If it is new, and it works, then it ain't going to be pretty. Pretty is for version 9"

er. . . we should be clear that the seller of that bike never got back to me. I dont even know what my frame will be yet, but I am clear to procure Batteries, Controller, Throttle, CA, and other goods. Whatever I end up with. . . is what I will go with.

Hard to believe you can find the ideal donor bike in Santa Cruz. One of my kids lives there now, and I don't think I've made a trip down there without coming back with bike parts from Craigslist. I don't usually drive my truck down, otherwise I'd probably pick up donor bikes as well. With people always upgrading, the deals are great for do it yourself ebikers. :bigthumb:

There are lots of bikes. . . but out of my price range. :lowbatt:

Power and Internet are down here.
I am up via Honda EU2200i and VPN to Android.

-methods

E-HP said:

Thankyou for the clarification. Understood.

So
After careful analysis that took me 4.2 seconds ->

... and thank you also, for the honor, friend. Yes m in it to winit, I have LR blocks, Bafangs, and Kwhs of cells.. ( some 8-10 in the shop atm.. ) , and Qs motors, an Ecospeeds, and a few frames to chop up... and Keep on braggin about gonna build this or that some day..

....and I just ate a 663$ package that UPS dropped off in a metropolitan area, covered with expensive as fck lithium shippingstickers, in Canada, right after I paid for, built, tested, and packaged and shipped. 2.5kwh down the drain, and three months of planning, and alot of money...

Canada got the import fee, ($107) though. UPS got their money ( 163$) Buyer never got his. Fcking UPS dropping a 600$ package on a porch. Im fcking poor for another 8 months now.

Blew up two ( 2) CAv3s also, this week. Cannot datalog anymore.. no braggin rghts. My girlfriend also overpaid me for the eBay purchases, and now wants her 100$ back, like yesterday.

Rewired my bike to run W/O Ca3, (Kelly only) and now the throttle glitches, every ride... and goes full bore right after I turn the bars a certain way.. ( usually on flick in) and I get a full throttle tq. buck ( usually in the apex of the saltiest of turns), now. Lol.

Want one? ( the girlfriend, not the fried CAs... ) .... I got one you can have. Free.

Got a M44 to do, and that truck. Already paid for, and spent that last month. I hate being in the red.

I got alot of play on my battery selling. So much I cannot meet the demand, like some others, I know of. Also.

Pls excuse me if I come off with a lack of couth. I am a positive person, inside. I think.

N-y way, Hi. Thanks for the input. Educational.

methods said:
Got the plumbing job complete. Lots can be said about plumbing. . . I will save it for another time.

Here are some pictures.

SystemsEngineering_001.jpg

You start by cutting links. Generally speaking, 1.25" pipe will insert 1.25" into the next fitting. That being the case, I used my Ryobi Compound Sliding Miter Saw for the cuts. It wobbles more than my DeWalt did. . . but. . . at least I have a saw.

SystemsEngineering_002.jpg

Liquid does not like sharp corners. If you are flowing at a very low rate, it is not an issue to even think about. As flow rate goes up. . . think about it. Note that I shaped a "step to the side, 90" out of 3pcs of 45 degree.

You step to the side to avoid the other pipe*

SystemsEngineering_003.jpg

For fitment, you want everything "resting easy". Where I go thru the wood, I let the pipe rest on that. Once everything is aligned I put DOUBLE hash marks on all the alignment points. This is what allows you to take it apart for solvent welding.

SystemsEngineering_004.jpg

That block of wood does nothing and in the next picture it is good. It is there as a placeholder, as later I will insert a bracket with foam sound deadening to ensure there is not stress on the plastic pump fittings.

SystemsEngineering_005.jpg

-methods
file.php

Next time ya into PVC adventures. Check out a swimming pool, hot tub shop. Flexible PVC pipe exists. Works with glue just like the stiff pipe. Swimming pools and hot tubs have lots to do with pumps and water.

My thoughts on Home Depot. They are good at everything. Not the best at anything. Except maybe joist hangers? A knowledgeable guy with a good imagination behind the parts counter at a swimming pool, hot tub shop is the one to talk to about getting water from here to there with pumps and stuff.

For teaching me how to get water from here to there. Unbelievable collection of parts and pieces. Propane grills too! These guys deserve a link.
https://www.garysgotit.com/contact/amherst

PVC is Poly Vinyl Chloride, usually white. In some parts of the US people use a black pipe called ABS. So what does ABS stand for?............ All Black Stuff :lol:

On the subject of Flexible Hot Tub PVC::

I do have experience with the flexible hose. I use larger diameter for my work. . . so it is quite expensive!

IMG_20201010_071446_compress36.jpg

I recently installed a really nice solar pump. Pictures are of the test, a 270 foot lift

IMG_20201010_095624_compress13.jpg

2HP pump into 1.25" line

IMG_20201010_100837_compress92.jpg

If you buy an entire roll (which I did) it is all fubar out of the gate. You either have to leave it out in the sun for a long time, or run boiling water thru it for a few minutes. Once you shape it, it will take a set. If you run anything like ground water thru it, IT IS QUITE STIFF.

IMG_20201010_100853_compress75.jpg

If you are only making a few simple turns. . . it is a nice material to experiment with. If you are doing anything at scale -> Too expensive.

To experiment, I suggest getting it VERY HOT.
I agree that you can solvent weld it without any issue. Above I have welded on a Union. One thing you would never want to do is try and hose-clamp a barb in there. That would equate to failure.

IMG_20201003_082106_compress3.jpg

More on the topic of Ebikes. . .
Have a look at this pump. It is QUITE SPECIAL.

IMG_20201003_082401_compress96.jpg
To set your scale, notice that I have it laid up next to a standard 18650 cell. This thing is NO JOKE.

IMG_20201003_082406_compress91.jpg

Its intent is Solar. . and Backup... and off grid... so you can run it DIRECTLY off of a couple panels.

* Works directly off of solar panels and has MPPT built in
* Works directly off of any battery like Golf Cart or Ebike
* Works directly off of AC @ 120V like EU2200i Honda Generator
* Works directly off of AC @ 240V like standard 5KW Generator

Pretty BOSS eh?

IMG_20201003_082537_compress77.jpg

I will spare the readers from all the graphs and charts. I am in the process of testing the motor to specification. So far it has met or exceeded expectations. My testing has been with a standard (hand carry) Honda EU2200i. I have detected that the motor controller IS running some sort of algorithm, so you have to be consistent in your testing.

IMG_20201003_082831_compress48.jpg

Live the Dream

-methods

methods said:
I ordered two of these for review.

https://www.amazon.com/BEZGAR-Hobbyist-Grade-4x4-Waterproof/dp/B07YXSCZD4

81vu5GYMEmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I will scroll up and reply as time allows.

-methods

I got some RC cars just to get familiar with lipo batteries earlier this year. I got one of those cheap 40mph jobbies. Similar to ebikes, it's fun to see the look on drivers faces going down the road, while being passed by a little RC car going 15 mph faster :lol:
I'm glad I went this route, since it's less risky to learn my lessons on some smaller packs (after a couple of close calls).

Very true that Lithium is a harsh teacher and that working up pays off.

* Scale RC, so Cars, Boats, Planes (notice I said nothing of quad copters)

Cars break very easy, as will your bones . . . when you fall off your bike going 35mph :idea:

Boats can run in Saltwater, and this hurries along understanding of how various metals behave in a conductive fluid with currents flowing.

Planes are my favorite, as they teach things like "How many mistakes from hitting the ground are you?".

All of them can start with a brushed motor and simple PWM controller. . . where you can experience the huge gains of moving over to BLDC. Motor KV vs Gearing, Current limit vs Voltage, load profile (tires vs prop)... these are the best teachers of the math necessary to find gains with Electric.

I would not even think of building a full size EV car before going scale.

* RC
* Ebikes
* Full Size EV

. . . anyway
I grossly overslept until the obscene hour of 0700. I was up at 0130 chasing bumps in the night. The rain tic-tic-tic'ing outside, the rat that snuck into the house again, the dogs clack-clack-clacking, the boats bumping around in the harbor, the sound of waves crashing.

I had a hell of a time going back to sleep. Work Dreams :|

So. . .
One of the big topics we are working on is public speaking. I have 40 solid gold tips for that, but before we get there, we have to START SOMEPLACE.

The place to start is an inventory of the fears that stop you from speaking (or in this case, writing). Before you can FAIL at public speaking, you have to publicly speak (eh hem). ... So... in getting thru this... the first thing we do is start blurting. A sentence here and a sentence there.

* Spell Check it if you must
* Read it back and out loud if you must

... You gotta prepare for the negative feedback (if any) so please avoid trying to say meaningless things. By this, I mean that it is not good practice to say things which will not garner a response*

... It is not really speaking that people are afraid of. It is mostly the REACTION of the audience that people fear. SO... Recognizing this first is critical. Properly identifying fears and putting labels on them.

Do this, maybe 1,000 times.
Speak publicly 1,000 times.
... Then we start with the tips on how to change peoples minds*

-methods

Some tips on posting (again)

* Clearly break up your text with whitespace, not matter what the topic. Nobody wants to read a monolithic block, and any time a subject changes (in-block) you have lost your readers.

* Take the time to correct spelling (IF) you want to win the hearts of those who care about shit like that. It does make a difference and people will discount you if you use improper engRish.

* More pictures and less text is the most valuable thing I can suggest. Pictures are the key*****

You plop down a picture and speak to it.
You plop down another picture and speak to it.
Sound Familiar?

... Power Point Presentation anyone?
Maybe VueGraphs for some of the older folks? :mrgreen:

The key to speaking is knowing what you are talking about. Pictures pull your mind away from the audience and into the amazing index which is your brain.

The pictures help both the presenter and the audience*

... and... remember that this is a Public Speaking workshop and NOT a Youtube workshop. Youtube is about ACTING... and here we are not acting. This is written text at the public level -> aka... "Writing"

:D

... guy the other day asked me when I am going to start writing my book. LOL... I did not give up the punchline.

-methods

Priorities

* Sex
* Drugs
* Rock & Roll

Ok -
Nowhere in that advice did I hear:

* Education
* Mentorship
* Hard Work
* Family
* Self

. . . Did not hear about Community, Country, or Cause.

Did not hear about Changing the world, Changing yourself, or Changing Diapers...

An important pivot (think database) that you can sort folks into is those who raise children and those who do not. Lets be clear that I said RAISE CHILDREND and not HAD CHILDREN. . . because being a deadbeat mom (or dad) does not qualify you.

* Those who have raised kids
* Those who are raising kids
* Those who have not or are not raising kids

Big swing in the data around this pivot*

When you sort that data you end up with a batch of outliers. These outliers are perhaps the most valuable batch of overlooked people in the whole heard. These are the people who did not have or raise kids, but. . . they mentored and brought up many others.

... Maybe you know and maybe you dont.

Maybe you had to pay for your mentorship (I have, many times) and maybe you found it thru church. Maybe your mentor was

* An old man with the garage door open, cutting wood or metal
* An old lady who sits at the coffee shop, same time, same place, every day
* An eager beaver, professor, teacher, or other person who has dedicated their life to improving others

If you dont know people like this, you better get to it buddy. :idea:

If...
Your only human inputs are

* Your mom
* Your dad
* Your boss
* Your TV
* ... and now... Youtube, PornHub, ... sigh...

What you seek are

* mentors
* teachers
* therapists
* leaders

... this is where you will find a G R A N D vally in the data. Those who seek out mentorship and those who surround themselves in dysfunction. If I had to sort the winners from the losers in my life -> ... -> The key defining factor is .....

Who you surround yourself with

* Enablers
* Liars
* Bullies
* Thieves
* Sneaks
* Cheaters. . .

The list could go on forever. I command you :warn: you move away from these people. Stop talking to them, stop going over to their house, stop letting them come to your house, stop meeting them places.

Stop answering the phone, stop calling, stop writing (or writing back)

Divorce yourself from those who are not on the path. . . and you WILL get there.

-methods

Picking your Partners

I have found the most success in life by very carefully picking and choosing who I live and work with :flame:

* It can not center around drugs or alcohol
* It can not center around sex or money
* It can not center around domination

. . . It is best if things play out similar to this::

* You do not party together, at all
* You are always "doing something" while together
* You make the effort, even when you do not want to

... I... have come to the point of this discipline where I wont even meet someone unless we are DOING SOMETHING.

* Riding a bike
* Fixing a car
* Working on the house

:wink:

If we are just sitting, without a project. . . then buddy. . . I got news for you::

* Either you are the project or I am the project, in that case

We are either working on you, working on me, or working on us.... and by "us" I do not mean our relationship, I mean we are working on a common goal together. ... like... team building, dysfunction elimination, getting over phobias, building up confidence, etc.

... eh
As I have said many times. . .

Resist the urge to gravitate toward those you are attracted to. That is a comfort zone :idea:

I make a big effort to open my heart and mind to people who (at first) often turn me off. This (if you choose wisely) is where you will gain the most. People have M A N Y hidden truths in them and you have to take some time to start pumping this information out.

Sluts like me. . .
We vomit our truths out to the world. . . in the hope that we can inspire just one person. . .

but
Most people. . . who actually have something of value to impart. . . will not do so until after you have cut thru a few layers of their filter.

ok
Off to do the days work.

-methods

This thread reminds me of the insane character Col. Kurtz's dialog/rantings from the movie Apocalypse Now.

I am down one PC and operating from Android.
Voice to text mostly.

I am going over to:: https://www.bumclues.com/
to set up another e-commerce website from free/cheap wordpress plug-ins. . . If anyone wants to learn that process again. :idea:

... As for crazy
Indeed my delivery was quite crazy in this thread -> especially from the perspective of any person missing the life experience I am referencing. I make no effort to conform to norms of delivery or give any kind of indication of what I am solving for.

I... Just allow for a little verbose output for the bugging. It's for myself but you can look if you want. Won't mean much to you :mrgreen:

It's called "octality" and for anyone who multi threads or programs with interrupts... It is quite obvious that I am just "following the program pointer". Someone trying to change your mind would call it "speaking from the heart" or "speaking without filters"

. . . If I had a simple mind ( single threaded) you would follow right along. BUT... My brain is running a hacked rom that I knocked together back in 2001! All in assembly language. . . But damn it still works.

I can't get it to work for 16 threads. . . At least I can't have any kind of control as to when they answer comes out. For eight threads I can deterministically converge on new solutions. That's plenty.

I can load about 4, 5, 8 things. . . And my brain will feverishly attempt to correlate those totally different subjects to find hidden or out of the box solutions that other folks missed.

Call me crazy. . . While I live the dream.

I'm writing a book that no one will ever want to read. . . I was inspired by the book "existence", which for better or worse. . . Derailed my life . . . In what I suspect was a good direction.

I only read the first hundred pages *

-methods

Back