-Bafang ideas for mods to one speed-

waynebergman

100 kW
I have been wondering about a bit of a different idea for a one speed mid drive solution on my next bike. I am thinking about doubling up on 8 speed style chain and sprockets for a one speed mid drive.

I am thinking to prolong the life of the sprockets and the chain ...........what about putting something like two 24 tooth chain rings up front side by side mounted to the Bafang mid drive unit with spacing between these two small sprockets to allow two sets of regular 8 speed style chain to be used side by side. Both sets of sprockets and chain moving and driving at the same time. These would drive to a double set of 36 tooth cassette sprockets on the back wheel. I figure if the cassette sprockets on the rear were assembled with spacing between them the same as the front chain rings you would kind of share the torque loads between the two sets of sprockets and chains. I figure you would have lots of space on the free hub body to float this little assembly of the two rear sprockets to line up for a good chain line to the front sprockets. Let say you used two doubled up and spaced steel sprockets on the back and use hacked up bits of old cassette parts to hold this assembly in the perfect spot for a nice chain line to the front you may get some good milage out of the reg 8speed stuff if its doubled up like this.

I am thinking some kind of a chain tensioner coming off of the chain stay under the return side of the chain path with of course also 2 doubled up jockey pulleys to hold the two chains under tension.

I originally got thinking about this as a solution to the chain falling off the side of the sprockets if two chains were riveted together side by side with double chain rings etc but that would be difficult to hack together and for now I will just put this out there for feedback on whether this would be worth trying for extended sprocket and chain life as it is described above?

My next bike will be a fat tire Bafang HD1000 if all goes as planned. I am wanting this bike for slow speeds and hill climbing. I figure at 1500 watts or so, gearing it as a one speed with no rear derailleur will be what I want and 15 mph top speed will also be just fine so this type of chain and sprocket solution may worth trying? Has anyone tried this kind of approach. Not sure if its worth all the trouble but I thought I would toss this idea out there for suggestions.

I considered a doubled-up chain on my old powerchair motor drivetrain on Crazybike2 a few years ago, but never got around to trying it, because of the derailing problems I had, destroying things due to frame twist from the torque.

Back