Display limitations

Cursor-I-Am

10 mW
I purchased a 48v/22A controller from JN (DC Moto Controller by Lithium Battery) that came with an S900 display. After 1 month of waiting and hours of getting it into my bike, I see the S900 display limits the current to 20A. I see that JN also sells controllers that go up to 35A and they use the same displays. I looked up every display compatible with JN controllers that they list on their seller page and they all have a current limit of 20A in their manuals.

I do not understand this. Are people actually buying expensive 35A controllers with displays that limit them to 20A? or are there sellers that sell displays with modified parameters that remove the current limits?

My bike controller compartment has an odd shape and so it took a lot of time, effort, soldering and even filing, to get it to fit (2 days of work). I really don't want to undo all of that if I can avoid it. Also, I already spent $1600 on this bike, $100 on panniers, $60 on spare parts, and $100 on a controller/display replacement, if I spend $80-$100 more, my wife might kill me.

I tried a KT LCD3 and an S866 display on it from my other bikes. Display comes on but no throttle/lights. So not compatible. (The reason I didn't use a KT controller is because I could not find one that was 22a and below 11.5cm in length)

Are there any sellers that sell modified versions of displays or displays with higher current limits? Is it possible to bypass the display current limit via modifying firmware or other methods?

I'm pretty annoyed by this tbh. If I pay for a 22A controller, I should get 22A. If I wanted a 20A controller I'd have bought a 20A controller and not have had to spend hours getting it to fit. It is my fault for not looking up the manual before purchasing, but I wrongly assumed that if I bought a 22A controller, I'd get 22A. As a side note, it's also not showing watt output for whatever reason. Maybe a loose wire somewhere but I don't have the mental strength right now to take it back apart as it was painful getting everything into place.

Last edited:
Per the manual, there are other versions of the display that aren't limited to 20A. Poking around to the forum seems to indicate this is the case:
Is the parameter actually limiting the current to 20A? Some posts indicate that the limit isn't actually limiting.

Per the manual, there are other versions of the display that aren't limited to 20A. Poking around to the forum seems to indicate this is the case:
Is the parameter actually limiting the current to 20A? Some posts indicate that the limit isn't actually limiting.
Doesn't feel as strong as my other bike that's 22a. I have an S900 btw, which from what I read isn't the same because I thought about try it.

I've run into that before too. Bought an ebike that had a GD06 display. Swapped in a different GD06 display off a generic controller off of AliExpress. Current and speed limits were different. I suppose the advanced settings and their limits must be flashed into the displays at the factories.

I've run into that before too. Bought an ebike that had a GD06 display. Swapped in a different GD06 display off a generic controller off of AliExpress. Current and speed limits were different. I suppose the advanced settings and their limits must be flashed into the displays at the factories.
Yeah, I am just not sure how to go about this because in my search, sellers do not seem to list this.

I asked JN on AliExpress about it. They gave me a really weird answer that doesn't make sense and also rubbed salt in the wounds.

Basically they confirmed they sell 35A controllers with 20A limits. Which I still find hard to believe as none of their reviews are raging about being ripped off. They also mocked me a bit when I asked why they sell 35A controllers with a display that limits it to 20A. I think they either took my question as being a hostile one or they are just pricks.

Yesterday 19:27

H4294c7f08478458ead76fd968d11bba86.jpg

Sorry, friend. The maximum factory setting of JN Display is 20A. This is also to avoid accidents. Therefore, it cannot be released. I hope you understand.

Yesterday 19:47

HTB1f58GKwHqK1RjSZFg7617JXXam.png

Why do you sell 35A controllers then? I don't understand.

H4294c7f08478458ead76fd968d11bba86.jpg

The controller with large amperage can adapt to high-power motor. This will not damage the controller. And JN is applicable to Display of No. 2 communication protocol. Not only JN Display can be used.

Why ride a bike if you need speed?I don't understand.

HTB1f58GKwHqK1RjSZFg7617JXXam.png

You can limit speed without limiting current/amps. I live in an area with lots of hills. Higher Amps = easier hill climbing. Not more speed.

"The controller with large amperage can adapt to high-power motor."

I have never heard of this.

"This will not damage the controller"

This reply kind of indicates to me that they're confused, but I also had my wife translate my questions to Chinese for them as well as English.

"And JN is applicable to Display of No. 2 communication protocol. Not only JN Display can be used."

That one is interesting to me because from my research, the S866 is "No. 2 communication protocol" and it didn't work on mine.

With my Setup: SW900, DC Moto Controller by Lithium it doesnt affect the Amps pulled out of the battery when i change the max. current setting to either a lower or higher Number in the display. A shunt mod works perfekt on these controllers if you want more Power ;)

Back