TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

jbalat said:
buba said:
jbalat said:
Guys really getting excited about version 20, stil...
Thanks
JB

Would love for you to test the 0.20.0 and give some feedback! But I understand you are waiting for the stable release. Everything in the 0.20.0 should be really tight and well controlled without any bugs.

I have looked at the FOC and there are several ways to improve the efficiency and torque. This would result in a cooler motor with less heating but with the same or even more torque. This can be done just by optimizing the existing code and functions. Adding field weakening will increase the cadence at the cost of efficiency but this can be acceptable in many use cases.

I see these changes as one major upgrade in the future! But to do this properly we need some serious instruments to really accurately measure and validate the changes and values. You have a suspicion that the static value we use in the experimental mode is not the most optimal and this is most likely true.

If I were to do some testing I would remove the motor from the TSDZ2 enclosure and install it in a motor torque dyno. Would make some extensive testing in the lab and then adapt the firmware for maximum efficiency = maximum torque at any given load and speed.

I think one user reported that we are around 60-70 % efficiency. In the best case scenario we would maybe be able to get to 80-90 %. This would mean that the actual torque increase would be around 50 % from the current 0.20.0 Beta 1! And we would have far less heat developing in the motor!

Sadly, we would have even more stress on the system (bye bye blue gear!) but that is another problem :wink:

Buba glad to see we are thinking along the same lines, Instead of pulling the motor out I was thinking You could make a special version of the firmware that you could adjust throttle and advance angle by using up and down arrows and then mount the bike on a bike exercise machine with adjustable load.. then display all the stats on the screen which you could copy down and graph...

Sorry for the terribly delayed reply! We are definitely thinking along the same lines!

That would be possible to do but it is usually carried out with a motor dyno. Together with something like LabVIEW to automatically gather data points. In doing so we can make very accurate models of our motors. This in turn will help us to optimize the code and enable maximum system efficiency. Or maximum top speed for the fast bikers out there :wink:

andrea_104kg said:
I just want to confirm, after a few days of use that the torque increase of version 20 beta1 is remarkable. Now the tsdz2 is back comparable with the turbo levo, slightly less but very little. with the 20 alpha version I thought I had burned the engine and was about to order a new one ... instead as if by magic the power is back. :D :D The only doubt is how much the poor motor will resist at 800w peaks ... and climb over 20% every day :( :(

Great to hear! Maybe future versions will be even more powerful! :wink:

As long as you do not overheat the motor it will never ever fail. That is why the temperature sensor installation is such a good idea for anyone pushing the limits and want maximum performance.

AZUR said:
First of all I would like to thank you all for what you have done.

I'm going to do a second ebike with TSDZ2 and OSF.

I will (would like to) make a 1P15S battery with 21700 LG M50T cells that have about 5000mA capacity. These cells hold a continuous current of about 8A.
These cells also have about 1000 life cycles while the 18650 have 800 cycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnB3vBUJ9z0

Each 1P15S battery will weigh about 1100g and will have a power of about 250Wh and over 450w of instant power.

My idea is to make several 1P15S batteries to use in parallel, depending on the power capacity I will spend.

Casainho has already tested the controller with a 62V battery and on the other hand the controller capacitors indicate 63V of nominal voltage.

see Casainho post at https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=94220&start=75

It is natural for capacitors to have a tolerance of at least 5% (or even 10%) and therefore must tolerate more than 66V.

Will it be possible to make a firmware version for 15S and 63V?

I do not need 63V. I get the BMS to limit me to 62.5V (4.15X15 = 62.25V).

Thanks

Please keep us updated! I am very curious and will gladly help to update the firmware version if it is required.

For now, I think it is possible to configure up to 15S on the display so everything should work perfectly provided the hardware manages the higher voltage.

Cool project!

maximusdm said:
I did in last weekend a MTB track with 2000+m altitude level and 56km. I used 620 wh. Ride done with 0.20 beta1.

On flat road and medium ascend, power mode works perfect. Good power and better torque.

On difficult climb, Emtb mode is king! It has a lot of power and the motor reacts instantly exactly when you need it. The motor control is much accurate at lower speed than power mode and the power used is less for same effect.
There is no need for boost. The power comes exactly when needed and exactly as much is needed!

I have found no problems but I propose an improvement. On road I had to constantly stop and adjust the sensitivity according to the road. 4-5-6.
Since Emtb mode is better than torque mode and has no down side, I propose to make only one mode that has the emtb power delivery function and the assistance levels configured as sensitivities 1-20.

This release is solid gold! Thank you!

It seems you are very satisfied and that is just wonderful! :bigthumb:

Regarding the eMTB sensitivity: it is good that you have suggestions and provide the community with feedback! I think it is best to leave it as is for now and focus on releasing a stable release. And then we can improve everything even more in the future. There is still much more to do and I hope you keep giving suggestions!

bemused said:
It does seem that different users have their own ideas about what the 'perfect' mode is -- and that also depends on exactly what situation they are dealing with at the time. I really like the idea of keeping lots of different modes so that each person can find the mode that suits him and his current riding condition. Procrustean beds went out of fashion a long time ago....

I also agree that one of the strengths in open source projects is the flexibility/choices/options. The 0.20.0 is the most customizable version to date and I think it is great!

pikp0ka said:
Hi guys!

I ve been using the TSDZ2 motor for one month now and I am very impressed by the work you have done. I have the 0.19 version installed.

There is just one small issue I havent noticed when using the original FW. When I am shifting the gears down and still turning the pedals the motor starts to rotate. The human power on the display is usually 10 W, sometimes jumps to 20W. Is it possible to disable the assistance when the human power is below i.e. 15W Maybe it should be in settings.

Thank you so much on the behalf of all developers :)

I think you will find the 0.20.0 will be more responsive and shifting will hopefully be better!

pikp0ka said:
Today I just checked features of the new 0.20 FW. These modes you are introducing you have to choose individually? So eMTB mode together with Power mode or just one single mode? I sthere a plan to introduce a shortcut to switch between these modes i.e when you are down from the hill and enter the paved roads.

thx

You choose a default riding mode and have eMTB as the last assist level. So if you have 5 assist levels eMBT will be the sixth "assist level" and it will display an "E". But only if you have activated eMTB Assist. I promise you it will be very clear when you try it!

As for the shortcut, nothing is planned for now but it definitely possible for future versions.

Thank you once again!

daenny said:
I just installed 0.20 beta 1. And initial impressions is great!
:bigthumb:
Thanks for the hard work.

Emtb mode works great. I would love to have two emtb modes with different sensitivity.

I will report back after using it for my daily commute

Thank you Daenny! :bigthumb: Am very happy to hear that!

You are not the only one that has expressed the desire for "assist levels" when using eMTB so this is definitely something that we can discuss for the future firmware versions!

Casainho, some users are reporting a problem with the 0.20.0 Beta 1 KT-LCD3 firmware. I have verified the problem. It seems that the hex is too large. I am using the 3.9.0 version for SDCC and it generates smaller sizes. Are you using the latest version as well or maybe an earlier version?

buba said:
Casainho, some users are reporting a problem with the 0.20.0 Beta 1 KT-LCD3 firmware. I have verified the problem. It seems that the hex is too large. I am using the 3.9.0 version for SDCC and it generates smaller sizes. Are you using the latest version as well or maybe an earlier version?
Done and updated the release file. Yes, I was using an older version. Now with 3.9.0 the generated code is just little bellow the 32 Kbytes.

hi just had a quick look there as was going to update my lcd3, it appears that the ktlcd3 file is a .bin instead of .hex? first time flashing lcd3 but i thought both were hex files.

Minatauro said:
hi just had a quick look there as was going to update my lcd3, it appears that the ktlcd3 file is a .bin instead of .hex? first time flashing lcd3 but i thought both were hex files.
You are right
Both file must be .hex
There must have been a problem in the deployment process

casainho or buba can you please post the hex file for the ktlcd3
thanks
JB

jbalat said:
casainho or buba can you please post the hex file for the ktlcd3
thanks
JB
Are you sure that the bin files does not work? At least they work for me.

Nah the windows software STVP does not see bin files, only Hex files. Im sure they work just fine in Linux.

Normally I would copy out the main.ihx file from the src folder and rename it to .hex however that wasnt there either.

I did compile it myself but running old SDCC so not sure if its going to work..

jbalat said:

Nah the windows software STVP does not see bin files, only Hex files. Im sure they work just fine in Linux.

Normally I would copy out the main.ihx file from the src folder and rename it to .hex however that wasnt there either.

Done. Because I didn't follow the usual process, I end up to attach the bin file while they should be hex files.

casainho said:
jbalat said:

Done. Because I didn't follow the usual process, I end up to attach the bin file while they should be hex files.
Thanks very much, I look forward to trying out the lcd3 for the first time.

mittkonto said:
Regarding the firmware.
Rode about 5km stock firmware yesterday and 30km in various terrain today.
All I really can say about the experience... stock is a smile for 50m, OSF is a snortlaugh for 250m. Bloody brilliant is what that is!!

I vote that the Opensource firmware code name should be "SnortLaugh"! perfect description! :lol:

The KT-LCD3 hex file is sorted out and uploaded on the official project page thanks to Casainho!

The 0.20.0 beta 1 is very, very stable! I recommend everyone to try it out and let me know if there are any bugs. Solving bugs is now a priority.

Small improvements and suggestions are possible to implement but they need to be very small and predictable so we do not introduce any bugs.

When the stable 0.20.0 is released I think there is a possibility we will be seeing some more displays supporting that version :wink: And with the new displays there will be even more functions, features and improvements!

(Sorry for being so inactive!)

perryscope said:
mittkonto said:
Regarding the firmware.
Rode about 5km stock firmware yesterday and 30km in various terrain today.
All I really can say about the experience... stock is a smile for 50m, OSF is a snortlaugh for 250m. Bloody brilliant is what that is!!

I vote that the Opensource firmware code name should be "SnortLaugh"! perfect description! :lol:

I had the exact same experience when I first tried out the OSF! :wink: SnortLaugh 0.20.0: Soon to be released in a stable version!

This is my first post here. I am impressed with what you have done with TSDZ2. I have been testing version 0.20.0 for several days. It is very good. I like the eMTB mode. I travel a lot in the mountains and trails. In my opinion, the main disadvantage of this motor is overheating. I could only use 330W for long climbs (temperature around 80 degrees).
I have improved the heat dissipation from the motor in a simple way. I did the first test today. Ascent to the top with a height of almost 300 meters off the trail. Driving time over 20 minutes. I pushed the engine on the highest support mode, average power about 500W. The engine temperature reached only 70 degrees and was almost stable. Maybe it would have grown 2-3 degrees more, but I reached to the top. Before the modification I would have a temperature of 80 degrees and a power limitation halfway through.
The upgrade is quite simple and inexpensive. The motor must be removed and assembled using thermal grease and AAB Cooling Thermopad. I have photos, I can make a description, but it's too big to post in the forum. If any of you are interested in it, let me know.

najbyk said:
This is my first post here. I am impressed with what you have done with TSDZ2. I have been testing version 0.20.0 for several days. It is very good. I like the eMTB mode. I travel a lot in the mountains and trails. In my opinion, the main disadvantage of this motor is overheating. I could only use 330W for long climbs (temperature around 80 degrees).
I have improved the heat dissipation from the motor in a simple way. I did the first test today. Ascent to the top with a height of almost 300 meters off the trail. Driving time over 20 minutes. I pushed the engine on the highest support mode, average power about 500W. The engine temperature reached only 70 degrees and was almost stable. Maybe it would have grown 2-3 degrees more, but I reached to the top. Before the modification I would have a temperature of 80 degrees and a power limitation halfway through.
The upgrade is quite simple and inexpensive. The motor must be removed and assembled using thermal grease and AAB Cooling Thermopad. I have photos, I can make a description, but it's too big to post in the forum. If any of you are interested in it, let me know.

Please post pictures :) You can upload your images on https://imgur.com/ and post a link here. I'm in the process of buying, so every info is welcome for the future build.

najbyk said:
The motor must be removed and assembled using thermal grease and AAB Cooling Thermopad. I have photos, I can make a description, but it's too big to post in the forum. If any of you are interested in it, let me know.
We could have a wiki page specific for that improvement.

casainho said:
najbyk said:
The motor must be removed and assembled using thermal grease and AAB Cooling Thermopad. I have photos, I can make a description, but it's too big to post in the forum. If any of you are interested in it, let me know.
We could have a wiki page specific for that improvement.

I will try to make a page with improvement instructions and photos and paste the link here. If there will be positive feedback from testers, this can be combined with the TSDZ2 wiki page.

The page about improving the heat dissipation from the motor is ready: https://github.com/najbyk/TSDZ2-cooling/wiki
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Before making an improvement, it is worth doing a continuous engine power test at a constant temperature. To be able to compare the results after improvement. After that write here how much more power you can get.

najbyk said:
The page about improving the heat dissipation from the motor is ready: https://github.com/najbyk/TSDZ2-cooling/wiki
Before making an improvement, it is worth doing a continuous engine power test at a constant temperature. To be able to compare the results after improvement. After that write here how much more power you can get.

:bigthumb:
Thanks, very intresting wiki, well done
For the optional part, Sugru could be used instead of liquid silicon because it can be molded like Pongo

najbyk said:
Good!!

I guess it could go to here, as 7.:

Please use Mediwiki formating on the wiki page and use __TOC__ for automatic table of contents, that just works for Mediawiki.

I gave you right now access to the wiki, so you should be able to upload the pictures and create the wiki page.

I created the page How to improve motor heat dissipation, please put there the contents: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/How-to-improve-motor-heat-dissipation

Back