Vespa PX125 (Large Frame) Electric Conversion.

This build is amazing. I just started a similar build using a ruckus, so I’m following closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJSfoto1956 said:
JimVonBaden said:
Battery ordered: 72v 38ah With 150A BMS eon lithium ICR21700 cells, $1K :shock:

Have a link to this vendor?

M

He is pretty well known on FB ebikes sites. Works for me.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/382337392644344/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

The battery was a very tight fit, so to remedy that I notched the frame to allow for the battery to sit low enough. I used 1" angle, and welded it in. Then more in front welded in with a support. It fits now, though still tight. I will ensure a properly set-up suspension adding 1" height and stronger springs for my fat ass. :oops:

Please realize the shape of the body, and the mismatched metal thicknesses mad pretty welds not so easy. I will be sealing up the gaps to make it water tight, but not until I am done with all fabrication.

I will also add a double layer of battery shrink wrap for protection. The gap is literally 1/8" all the way around. Tight fit. I will also add 1/8" nylon base plate, and a battery strap.

This long weekend should allow me to finish fabrication, prime the body and fab the swingarm. Fingers crossed.

JimVonBaden said:
MJSfoto1956 said:
JimVonBaden said:

M

He is pretty well known on FB ebikes sites. Works for m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/382337392644344/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

:shock: That is a very bad battery builder!
Don't be surprised if your battery pack will turn into a very big fire after some time where vibration from riding will have the nickel strip short on the can. As the "pack" is "thrown" together with some electrical tape, no cell holders, no separation rings on the + side and bad welding...
From his own ad on FB:

Bad battery builder.jpg

Good work!

Tight fit indeed! that battery will probably be a lot happier in that space than what it was before. And yeah those welds are a little ugly but ugly doesn't mean weak. It's not easy to weld thicker metal to thin sheet metal. Usually I just fill the welds with seam sealer before taking pictures lol!

Would you recommend this battery maker over something like this from ebay or this from amazon? Similar prices but those come with chargers already matched to the BMS. But the quality of the cells they use is anyone's guess.

SlowCo said:
JimVonBaden said:
MJSfoto1956 said:
JimVonBaden said:

M

He is pretty well known on FB ebikes sites. Works for m.

:shock: That is a very bad battery builder!
Don't be surprised if your battery pack will turn into a very big fire after some time where vibration from riding will have the nickel strip short on the can. As the "pack" is "thrown" together with some electrical tape, no cell holders, no separation rings on the + side and bad welding...
From his own ad on FB:

Bad battery builder.jpg

From his photos, and my examination of the battery, it doesn't look bad to me. See the photos I posted previously.

mannydantyla said:
Good work!

Tight fit indeed! that battery will probably be a lot happier in that space than what it was before. And yeah those welds are a little ugly but ugly doesn't mean weak. It's not easy to weld thicker metal to thin sheet metal. Usually I just fill the welds with seam sealer before taking pictures lol!

Would you recommend this battery maker over something like this from ebay or this from amazon? Similar prices but those come with chargers already matched to the BMS. But the quality of the cells they use is anyone's guess.

I can't say if his is better or not, but the battery I received does not look bad to me.

Several battery builds here look similar, and a few people here recommended him.

Also, FYI, the builder was, at my request, jamming a 38ah 72V battery into a very small form factor. 7.7"X5.5"X9". No room for all the nice to have items.

That looks indeed much better than the photo I posted from his own ad on FB. I think he should update those photo's with these you posted of your battery pack.

the metal reinforced body filler is a good idea for the foot area, it will be much stronger and less likely to damage from your shoes.

Is that the MIG135 from Eastwood? That is what I have too, I like it a lot so far although I have to use my stick welder for thicker plate materials.

What are the dimensions of your battery pack?

mannydantyla said:
Is that the MIG135 from Eastwood? That is what I have too, I like it a lot so far although I have to use my stick welder for thicker plate materials.

What are the dimensions of your battery pack?

The battery ended up being Battery is 72v 38 Ah rectangle 195 x 230 x 140mm, or 7.7 x 9 x 5.5 inches.

Yes, the 110v MIG from Eastwood, just barely enough for the heavy tube I am using.

A few more hours in the garage and the swingarm is at 80%. I have to wait until I get the motor before mounting it and placing the shock mounts. Plus I need to relieve the drop=outs and add pinch bolts. But, overall it is near final form.

Ignore that crappy welds. They are not pretty, but they are very solid.

I didn't think the workshop could get more dirty, but I was wrong.

JimVonBaden said:
I have friends who say it will not be strong enough.

If your friends have any doubts about it handling the motor torque, you can show them this: https://amzn.to/2LFrQ6K

Back