KT motor controllers -- Flexible OpenSource firmware for BMSBattery S/Kunteng KT motor controllers (0.25kW up to 5kW)

The current is limited both by battery current and phase current. That value is set right under the battery current and needs to be correct. Maybe post a screenshot of your config.

What default angle are you using? Is it one someone else has determined for the motor?

unfortunately I can't answer because after the third engine burned the ECU also jumped and I decided not to try again, I'm quite disappointed, I just want to report it if someone else tries this software takes it into account

Hi, I have been fiddling with the firmware for a week now and have not been able to get it to run properly. I really could use some help here.

My setup is the following:
controller: KT36/48SVPR (Did run before I flashed the FW)
Motor: XF07 front wheel geared motor
thumb throttle
bluetooth adapter.
I like to run it on the testbench without the pas sensor.

I installed the FW with the settings in the screenshot and also installed the BluOsec app on my phone.

When I turn on power and press the throttle nothing happens.

When I connect the BluOsec app it seems to connect as the light on the adapter stops flashing and remains lit. But all the settings remain gray and I can not change them. Also when I spin the wheel nothing happens.

Then when I bridge the Pas sensor-connector white line to red and press throttle and give the wheel a swing it starts to jump from full to nothing.
but the Bluosec app shows nothing.

I also did another experiment with the 36V-28in-BionX_IGH3-BluOsec.ini setting but then it starts bucking like an old unwilling horse when I press the throttle.

What settings should I change to make it at least make it run smooth. I would realy like to get this working.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,494
  • photo_2022-04-23_20-51-22.jpg
    photo_2022-04-23_20-51-22.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,493
  • photo_2022-04-23_20-51-17.jpg
    photo_2022-04-23_20-51-17.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,493
qrisonline said:
Hi, I have been fiddling with the firmware for a week now and have not been able to get it to run properly. I really could use some help here.

thumb throttle
bluetooth adapter.

I installed the FW with the settings in the screenshot and also installed the BluOsec app on my phone.

When I connect the BluOsec app it seems to connect as the light on the adapter stops flashing and remains lit. But all the settings remain gray and I can not change them. Also when I spin the wheel nothing happens.

Then when I bridge the Pas sensor-connector white line to red and press throttle and give the wheel a swing it starts to jump from full to nothing.

I also did another experiment with the 36V-28in-BionX_IGH3-BluOsec.ini setting but then it starts bucking like an old unwilling horse when I press the throttle.

What settings should I change to make it at least make it run smooth. I would realy like to get this working.

I would start with voltage cutoff. What is your battery voltage? Then I would check throttle Settings. What is your voltage at full throttle?
If those are right, then I would try changing the motor angle by 10 degree increments.

Vbruun said:
qrisonline said:

thumb throttle
bluetooth adapter.

I would start with voltage cutoff. What is your battery voltage? Then I would check throttle Settings. What is your voltage at full throttle?
If those are right, then I would try changing the motor angle by 10 degree increments.

Thanks for your answer, I set under and overvoltage cutoff to 0 resp 255. that helped a lot. It is much smoother, but the wheel can be stopped easily. My battery is 36 V type but with a full change it is almost 42 V
The trottle voltages is min 0.8V and max 3.5V
I swapped out the 5 V regulator for the bluetooth adapter and now the blueosec app connects and immedialtely crashes on the phone. When I use Diagnostics with a bluetooth terminal I get the lines with the numbers. So it seems that the bluetooth connection is working.

The trottle voltages is min 0.8V and max 3.5V

Not the answer to all your issues, but if your throttle min voltage is 0.8v then you should set the configurator 'Throttle min' at something like 42, throttle max setting looks ok.

Then start changing the motor specific angle by 10 degree increments and see where the lowest no load consumption is found @full throttle.

Trying to install the special BMSfactory firmware in my controller ended up the controller being unusable. I did all the recommendations from github but the firmware does not work at all in this controller. Anyone any id? When I received it it worked ok with my KT-LCD4 but after flashing the eprom there is no indication of controller software being present. https://www.dropbox.com/s/syypj7cd4qr6jji/KTcontrolleer22A.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7chwuzg1ggyw8o/KTcontroller22A2.jpg?dl=0

Seems to be 9FET version. Some users reported OSF is bot working with that configuration. 6, 12 and even 18FET have been reported succesfull.

szkuba said:
stancecoke said:
Slipy said:
motor spin all time at very low speed

Nice to see the motor spinning, this is a great sucess already! Congratulations!

It seems that the battery-current measuring is not stable fast enough at startup. We already have build in a pause in the autozero procedure in the adc_init(void) function, but it seems to be too short.
You can try to increase the number of loop runs in the delay-loop, or just use a higher offset (e.g. 5 instead of 1) in line 79 of the adc.c

Code:
ui16_current_cal_b -= 1;

regards
stancecoke
I had similar problem with wheel spining after running the motor and tried to modify the code. It worked well with offset "3"

@stancekoce is it possible that bigger pause makes the start little sluggish ?

bgt said:
Trying to install the special BMSfactory firmware in my controller ended up the controller being unusable. I did all the recommendations from github but the firmware does not work at all in this controller. Anyone any id? When I received it it worked ok with my KT-LCD4 but after flashing the eprom there is no indication of controller software being present. https://www.dropbox.com/s/syypj7cd4qr6jji/KTcontrolleer22A.jpg?dl=0

I run it on a 9-fet. Are your voltage cutoffs correct?

Vbruun said:
bgt said:
I run it on a 9-fet. Are your voltage cutoffs correct?
I have a 9 fet also, but where to find the cutoff voltages? Remember, I cannot get into the software of the controller firmware!

snips said:
The ACS sensor has arrived and installed in the ZWS controller, and simplified FOC works :D
The firmware is absolutely way better than I had anticipated, the motor runs completely silent now. It sounded like a tractor with the stock Kunteng firmware. And regen is strong and crisp. I also felt a little bit more torque when starting

I have ordered the ACS sensor and I am trying to get the firmware installed, I also have a 12 FET ZWS controller. Which pins did you use to connect to? There are 4 pins labeled "soft" on my board, are those the correct ones?

Hello dear endless-sphere community!

I am new here but have been active on pedelecforum before.

I have a question regarding my kt36-sinewave-controller with openfirmware and
its connection with the hub motor (akm 100h, 260RPM). I use the BlueOSC app.

If the motor is connected it only rotates quite heavily when the pas-signal starts.
If I pedal faster the signal stops and the motor doesnt support anymore.
This is documented in this video:
https://vimeo.com/710013289

If the motor is disconnected, the PAS-Signal is processed as it should be. The faster I pedal,
the stronger the signal. This is seen with the thin red line on the BlueOSC which gets stronger
in the second video:
https://vimeo.com/710013553

I played around a lot with PAS-Threshold values...

Do you maybe have a hint for me what could be the problem? Thanks a lot and a nice sunday for everyone!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-28 125809.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-04-28 125809.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 1,202
tempo_8787 said:
Hello dear endless-sphere community!

I am new here but have been active on pedelecforum before.

I have a question regarding my kt36-sinewave-controller with openfirmware and
its connection with the hub motor (akm 100h, 260RPM). I use the BlueOSC app.

If the motor is connected it only rotates quite heavily when the pas-signal starts.
If I pedal faster the signal stops and the motor doesnt support anymore.

Which branch form https://github.com/stancecoke/BMSBattery_S_controllers_firmware did you use?
If you want to use BlueOSC App & BT, you can not use the 'Master' branch.
I don't know the details, but the controller is overloaded with floating calculations and thus makes 'funny things'....

-> You need to use the 'Torque from X4' Branch.

On this one, all floating operations are replaced and the load on the controller is low, so everything works as expected.

I had the same problem and using the above branch fixed it. (This is also mentioned somewhere deep down in this thread...)

Hope this helps

Hello & thanks!
unfortunately this didnt help with the described problem as I flashed the controller with the "X4 torque"-branch
and still have the same issue. BUT this is real crucial information as I lost two controllers with master-branch before
"out of nothing" with FET-problems. I think they could not handle the data flow you described.
So, thanks a lot!

I've now flashed my 12 FET ZWS and it seems to be working (test bench). I used the "Torque from X4" fork even though I don't have a torque sensor, since I do want to use BluOsec.

I've attached and paired an HC05 module but the app does not seem to function correctly. I can change the assist levels up and down, and that works, but I do not get any speeds/voltages/currents or any other indication that it is connected. I also can't change any of the parameters on the settings page. That, and the app seems to crash constantly. Any ideas?

tempo_8787 said:
Hello & thanks!
unfortunately this didnt help with the described problem as I flashed the controller with the "X4 torque"-branch
and still have the same issue. BUT this is real crucial information as I lost two controllers with master-branch before
"out of nothing" with FET-problems. I think they could not handle the data flow you described.
So, thanks a lot!

Have you checked that your PAS duty cycle is correct? It is easy to do with the app.

firebat45 said:
I've now flashed my 12 FET ZWS and it seems to be working (test bench). I used the "Torque from X4" fork even though I don't have a torque sensor, since I do want to use BluOsec.

I've attached and paired an HC05 module but the app does not seem to function correctly. I can change the assist levels up and down, and that works, but I do not get any speeds/voltages/currents or any other indication that it is connected. I also can't change any of the parameters on the settings page. That, and the app seems to crash constantly. Any ideas?

As far as I know the ZWS/Squarewave-controllers dont work with the opensource firmware. You need to use a Sinewave-Controller
(e.g. SVP...)

Vbruun said:
tempo_8787 said:
Hello & thanks!
So, thanks a lot!

Have you checked that your PAS duty cycle is correct? It is easy to do with the app.

Thanks! will try it out!

tempo_8787 said:
As far as I know the ZWS/Squarewave-controllers dont work with the opensource firmware. You need to use a Sinewave-Controller
(e.g. SVP...)

The firmware does in fact work on the ZWS controller. There are several examples of people in this thread doing it, and there are references to it in the wiki. I don't get actual sinewave control (until I add a current sensor that I've ordered) but other than that it is the same as the SVP controllers. I have disabled interpolation in the firmware, as recommended when running a ZWS controller.

I've added the current sensors to the boards (2 different ZWS controllers) and the motors seem much smoother and quieter, so I assume that sinewave is now working. Still having issues with bluetooth though so I can't really diagnose or debug the motors at all. Should I try the master branch? I read somewhere that it had issues with calculations and wouldn't work with bluetooth/BluOsec, but I am having issues with those anyways. Maybe the master branch has been updated since that recommendation?

Just been finushing a projekt on 12 FET controller and lost the link between controller and LCD possibly during reconnecting the LCD plug... . The LCD only turns up and show voltage reading, no speed reading, no battery bar, no asist level change. I tried no LCD version and all is working fine except i cannot change the assit level.
How to check if UART ports are dead? If not any alternate way to get LCD data out of controller and manipulate the assist level?

Hi!
Any idea what settings to use for :
Q128C / 48v / BMS battery controller Bottle-09 integrated controller (I belive that it is a small version of the S06S

I have tried the Q128C recmmanded setting but goes VERY slow to 5km/h

Anybody with the same config?

Thanks

Back