SoCal Grange Race Roll Call!!!! Congrats PaulD!!!

etard

100 kW
My email to Thud in preparation for the biker build off 2011!! He's got some much eshit, he might not have room for clothes. :lol:

T,
Seriously, I got clothes that will fit you, just bring panties and shoes, I got the rest. By the way, what boot size are you? I may have to round some up for dirt ride on Sunday and I may have some Dianese street bike shoes. I have a jacket that will fit for sure. What helmet size too? Oh and what color frock do you prefer? Haha, I'm ready to put this monkey in space!! In skinny jeans. Don't forget a nice camera, my GoPro may be on the fritz. Most importantly, am I supposed to order up some Pirellis? I found 2 shipped on Amazon for $56? They should arrive by Thursday. Or do you think we can find them local? I wonder how it would feel with a hookworm on the rear?

Be jealous suckas, Thud and I will be getting down and dirty on what will hopefully be legit race bikes in the 2nd SoCal Race hosted by MotorBicycleRacing at the Grange track in Victorville, CA (as heard in a Sublime song). I have gathered a bunch of scrap frames, an oxy/ace torch, cheap HF welder, 9" Lathe, benchtop mill, air grinders, saws, and a shitload of creativity from our resident motor winder, 2 speed creator, and bike building savant... ThudSTAR!!
I plan on taking lots of pics and making Thud take periodic brakes to post pics online for all to see during the day. I want this to be interactive, I'm asking for the whole community to join in and lend a hand if need be. Who's down? Remember guys the race is on October 22nd, ride all day and all night!

There is supposed to be some fast gassers out there! The Willow Springs race had one bike that lapped Alex ( the one who came second to PaulD at the DeathRace) well, he is gonna be there next weekend, I would love to see Thud beat this guy across the finish line, who doesn't? Would be cool to see Jay64, Thud, PaulD, and Liveforphysics bumpin elbows around the track, I dare say it would be LEGENDARY!! I promise to hook some good race video footage and I hope all the brilliant riders up north come down, maybe we can own this event and make it a true REVOLUTION!

So here is the So Cal Race Roll Call as I understand so far:

Edit:

1. SoSauty
2. Thud
3. Jay64
4.Etard
5.Liveforphysics
6. PaulD
7. Random ebiker
8. Nicobie
9.Jamie P.
10.Noah B.
11.Paul S.
12.Zombiess
13. Dan Hanebrink
14. Shiny Balls
15. Nikos7
16. Evoforce?
17. Farfle?
18. ???
19. ???
20. Cmon! Let's get 20 guys

Who else is planning to come? any Willow Springs guys coming???

I will be there. PaulD is meeting me Friday and we are carpooling.

If we can get all their bikes done in time (which right now they are just parts with lots of custom things that need to be made and then wired up), I will be bringing 3 more ebikes and riders with PaulD and myself.

Finished the mechanical side of the race bike today.

ebike1a.jpg

Tonight I'm starting in on the electrical side.
ebike2.jpg

AWESOME Luke!! I love that bike, it's frockin perfect! Added to the list: Luke and PaulD ( are they even allowed to do that...) :mrgreen:

CARPOOLING-

Any groups heading down from the Bay Area with free seats? Anyone interested in setting up a carpool down from the Bay Area?

I know I'd LOVE to "turn out for the team" even though I haven't got a race-able bike! But I can't make the trip alone...

Still sick and broke. Nothing fatal, but chronic. Sucks.

Thud could ship a change of clothes.

Dogman, you pick up an epstien-barr virus? (or are you still suffering that buffett in Tucson? :mrgreen: ) hope you feel right soon. October death race is aproaching fast.

Damn! Lukes golden motored bike & a perm132.....so much for running my Rewound CA120. I have a sickness to be competitive. So I will atttemt to run the twin turnigys again (on 12fet controllers this time) & see if its anywhere near competitive with the chicken shit builds that are poping up....yea you heard me chicken shit builds. (relax boiz...its schmac talkk! :p )

I had to say that before the race so it isn't misconstrued as "whineing" cause i got beat. :mrgreen:
(golden motors capable of 300 amps for 30seconds, 212cc race motors all ported, carbed & camed up...puh leeeze, if thats where its going I can deal with it. Call me a chicken shit too cause I will build one next & it will be fun..but i really thought we were building bicycles.

I still will challenge the feild to a 5 lap pedal only race on the race bikes....for the "Grand championship" LOL seperate the bicycles from the (some one shoot me I am about to quote Safe) PINO's

(my moneys on PaulD...he is actualy a cycleist......(gotta hate that LOL!)
Looking foward to hooking up with the Gang at the track....sorry in advance for the take-outs....wasn't intentional, I am just a sucky rider! 8)
GET SOME!

It's some form of chronic fatigue, but not from mono. We think it was west nile virus that triggered it. It's been very wierd, starting with many doc's will just tell me I'm mentaly ill. Wacky yes, depressed no. According to CDC guidelines I'm not sick at all. Bullshit! I've been saying all summer that I felt like my mitocondria aren't working. It's different from being tired or lazy. Chronic weakness syndrome would be a better name.

Finally delving into the more theoretical and full of shit web info, it turns out one of the theories IS that my body is destroying it's mitochondira, through either overproduction, or though not cleaning up enough free radicals. Possibly a gene is overexpressing itself. Shoulda never gone lipo. :lol:

The good news is it's not cancer, heart disease, cartoid artery clogs, diabetes, MS, lupus, thiroid, or something else fatal. The bad news is there is no cure, half the doc's just think you're crazy, and this could go on for years. I am getting better, extremely slowly, but apparently permanent 100% recovery is not garanteed. Great. What sucks is that any excercise at all makes me feel lousy, sometimes for days. I'm changing my diet to include mega anitoxidants, and it seems to be helping some. Or it's placebo. I can barely work, am making about $100 a week, and any bike riding is paid for dearly. Still ride some anyway, or I will go bonkers.

Wish I could come to the race. Have a blast, and get vid for us armchair racers.

Could a Mod add the race date to the thread? 8)

SoCal Grange Race Sat Oct 22nd 2011 Roll Call !!!!

Only 5 days to go!

The SoCal Motor Bicycle Race is going to be an eBike vs Gas bike battle extravaganza :mrgreen:

Looks like a lot of eBikes are coming and the fast gas bikes builds are off the hook.

I'll be driving down sometime Friday. Is anybody going to practice on Friday? I won't be bringing a bike (too old and fragile) but most likely will bring a pop-up and table. I'll have a cooler full of water too. How are we doing for generators? Should I bring my JIANG DONG 3.5kw (2 x 15a)? My van always has tools in it and I will pack some ebike electric stuff too.

With Justin's permission I had a couple of small 3 x 5' banners made. I was promised that they would be here by Thursday. If they don't get here in time, we can use them at future races.

NicksBannercopy.jpg

NicksBanner2.jpg

It should be lots of fun!

Hey Nick,
I screwed up & my lithium wont be deliverd untill friday before the race...I'll be setting up & testing with E-tards batteries...prolly won't camp friday night...suposed to do some desert riding on sunday if it all works out.
& for sure if its no problem with a generator...more power is allways a good thing LOL.....& you should bring your bike & ride! no one says you gotta press your luck on the track...you get a better veiw from the track anyway :D
see you kin a few days buddy.
T

Sorry there is no prize for the eBike class at this race unless some eBike
manufacturer or some one here wants to donate one?

SoSauty donated some very cool electric motors for the Willow Springs race
last June but he was the first ebike that finished so he got them back. :mrgreen:
but
Here is the first prize for the Ultimate Race which is the big race of all the
5 classes, gas bike and ebikes.

But wait........there's even more prizes from the Manic Mechanic. :D
http://mmbikeparts.com

Jim at Creative Engineering is giving out a bunch of his custom sized
sprocket adapters complete with custom sized sprocket.

The prize winners get to measure their hub and get the tooth count
that you want from 28 to 72 teeth.

It is a custom made prize!!!
You can read all about MM's custom sized sprocket adapters here.
http://mmbikeparts.com/custom_adapters.htm

Here is Manic Mechanics new 6 bolt sprocket adapter and his largest
sprocket ever at 80 teeth!!!

Sprocket is split so it can be quick changed to a hopefully smaller size LOL

image001.jpg

Sprocket is so big it needed pins to align.
image002.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Nice double post Niele....

Nic,
You better bring a bike just to show, I think we all wanna see it! Definately bring a gennie, that will give us poor bastards a chance to get more track time if we don't happen to have a Serenson. :lol: And if you have any extra Meanwell or quick charger, that would be awesome too.

Thud,
I'll share my home with you, but my batteries... that's pushing your luck buddy! :wink:

Reminder: Make sure to bring gearing to put my 2 speed into overdrive for the straight, I'd rather keep up with the big boys here than at the start line.

Here is some pics of the scrap heap, don't know if Thud has even had a chance to look at the stash, will give him something to think about on the plane:

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

The Jr. Brute just needs to be put back together

Thats a sweet scrap pile! I can't wait to chop it all into pcs & watch the phoenix rise from the ashes :p do we have a build name? :?:

e-bikers don't need no stinking prizes! (just finishing is reward enough LOL!)
But Manic M's stuff is primo qualito grande'. (Jim turned me onto the brakes i am running..he's a good guy)

Etard, did you scrub all the rust off them cranks? that patina is hard to duplicate....what where you thinking. :wink:
I threw every sprocket i had in the box ariving friday bud....we'll have options that'l allow you burn up in a lap or two :twisted:
(remember Roy's exploits following all the big advice he got saying he could run that astro at 40+ mph) with the xiechangs & that motor I found the max gearing it could pull & was about 45mph max..geared for 50 the controller would hicup & the motors run awfully hot. like i doubt it would run 12laps hot....we'll figure something out.

(i forgot how sweet those $3.99 plastic pedals looked on the Jr brute!) We may have to fight to see who get the purple bars! :lol:
tomorrow the odesy begins.

dogman said:
I What sucks is that any excercise at all makes me feel lousy, sometimes for days. I'm changing my diet to include mega anitoxidants, and it seems to be helping some. Or it's placebo. I can barely work, am making about $100 a week, and any bike riding is paid for dearly. Still ride some anyway, or I will go bonkers.
Maybe you caught it from me, cuz whatever it is sounds like how I feel most of the time, for the last 2-3 years or more (though mine seems to just get worse over time, rather than better).

Ahhh, Thud did you forget about my plans for cooling the motor? And the controller??!!

I'll bring a meanwell set up for 18s and a couple hobby chargers. I think I have a 2a charger for an 18s somewhere around too. I have a couple of nice 12g extension cords I'll bring too.

If anybody is going to practice on Friday, let me know about what time and I'll be there. I'm going to get a room in Victorville for Fri. & Sat. night so I'll be around. If you want my cell # , drop me a PM

Nick

Ahhh, Thud did you forget about my plans for cooling the motor? And the controller??!!
frankly, yes :lol: i been knda frantic around here the last week or two...& i aint as young as i used to be.

Well, I thought I could safely get the dual sport relaced and put the tire back on myself, well.... Dropping the final bit of bead back into the rim let out the magic smoke in my tube ( FRoCk!!) so I had to go down the hill to Chaparral motorsports and get some professional assistance. After they assisted me out of $40 I was poking around the tire shop when I found an ML75 Pirelli! I had to buy it, it was the last one. It's still $5 cheaper to get it shipped through Amazon, st least I can return it if I don't use it though. Needless to say, I got my $10/ wk commuter back together, so Thud can smash around in the Jeep, stopping every 15 minutes to put gas in the beast. :x I wish I could be there when Thud is going through security, And how heavy are those copper filled suitcases Thud?!!!

etard said:
So here is the So Cal Race Roll Call as I understand so far:

1. SoSauty
2. Thud
3. Jay64
4.Etard
5.Liveforphysics
6. PaulD
7. Random ebiker
8. Nicobie

Who else is planning to show up?

Maybes: Farfle, Zombiess, Dogman (you should bro!), any Willow Springs guys coming???
#113 Zombiess has already emailed me and signed up.

#111 Evoforce emailed me and signed up

#123 Dennis is coming and he said that
#117 Dan Hanebrink is coming too.

#108 Grifftek said he was coming to me a while ago.

===========================================

Only 5 days to go.

Please email me at MotorBicycleRacing@gmail.com
to Register for the Saturday Oct 22nd Grange Race.

Please put your Race Number and Forum Name as the
email subject so I know who you are.

Copy and paste the questions below.

1) Forum name.

2) Real name.

3) Race number from Willow Springs if you had one.
( You can pick a number if you don't have one )

4) What type of bike / class / engine are you riding?

5) Are you arriving Friday or Saturday?
If on Friday do you want to practice on the track?
( $20 cost if there are at least 10 riders ) $30 reg price.

6) How many people, spectators or pit crew are coming with you?
$10 each paid at the track gate.

7) Are you racing in 2 classes?
What bike / class types?

=============================

If you are coming as a spectator I would appreciate an email
too so I can plan for the event.

Thanks.

Back