SoCal Grange Race Roll Call!!!! Congrats PaulD!!!

nicobie said:
AussieJester said:
No hookers :shock: well that's no bloody good
Who's Luke going to "celebrate" with after he wins
At the track? :p :mrgreen:

KiM

Should we start a paypal fund for the poor fuc? :mrgreen:

I'm in for $20

You guys are such sweethearts. :) :mrgreen:

Add to your list some non ES members who are coming down with me and entering with ebikes that we are frantically building right now. lol

Jamie P. (hubmotor bike, but a REALLY good cyclist, we will see how he does on an ebike)
Noah B. (Perm 132 motor on a custom built ebike, good rider)
Paul S. (Hubmotor bike, amazing BMX rider, we will see how he does on an ebike)

We got Jamie's hubmotor race bike running. Made a couple rips in the parking lot on it, it pulls decently well. Hub was pretty warm in just a few passes with me on it.

We go put it on the dyno, with voltage sag, the controller is at 89v at 115amps 10.2kw INPUT. It's only outputting 6.9hp at the tire peak... That's 50.1% efficiency... Third dyno pull (each pull is about 20seconds of WOT with 30seconds of sitting in front of the fan in-between) it shoots smoke and plasma and sparks out of the dick-shaped cut-outs in it... We were all thinking, Hmm... Didn't we all ready see plasma shooting out of a dick motor?

Anyways, lessen learned here, 6.9hp output is saturation point for a stock wind HS35 clyte motor. I wish it wasn't so damn expensive and time wasting to find this out. lol

So, if you can assume efficiency before saturation of 75%, running anything over 6.86kw into your HS35 is ONLY making heat and no additional performance. If you can assume 80%, then running more than 6.4kw into your HS35 is ONLY making heat and no additional performance.

IMG_20111017_192504.jpg

IMG_20111017_192533.jpg

BTW- This hubmotor lasted roughly 5 minutes of Luke-usage. That's longer than any RC ESC has ever lasted me. lol

Got my bike fully up and running tonight. Set the controller for 45A 120 phase and its at the limit of rideability for me. The CA recoreded a 100A peak! I tried 57A and 160 phase but it kept cutting out. When it didn't cut out it would try to flip me off and didn't pull much harder than the 45a 120a phase. I think its time I have a longer swing arm fabbed up for me. Maybe 6 to 8 inches longer.

I m no Luke but I did see over 6kw a few times at low speed... feels good. I'm going to ask my friend if I can toss it on his motorcycle/quad dyno

liveforphysics said:
BTW- This hubmotor lasted roughly 5 minutes of Luke-usage. That's longer than any RC ESC has ever lasted me. lol

Might I suggest 2 things:
1. Better ventilation hole placement and an overall air flow strategy instead of cock-n-ball holes would have stretched that to 6 or 7 minutes.
2. Start testing with a low current limit, and increase it with each run until the power doesn't increase by the same % as current to learn where saturation starts without blowing the motor. The first one was fun, but isn't it getting old by now?

Man, I am looking forward to pics & video! :D

Go ES!!

Wish I could join ya all there, maybe next year when I start selling something and get rich right? :roll: :lol:

John in CR said:
liveforphysics said:
2. Start testing with a low current limit, and increase it with each run until the power doesn't increase by the same % as current to learn where saturation starts without blowing the motor. The first one was fun, but isn't it getting old by now?

Agreed, agreed. I was just excited to see if I could break 7hp on the dyno... I've blown up more motors on the dyno my friend... It's a chronic problem at this point. lol I still don't think I learned my lesson this time either. But perhaps a small step closer to learning my lesson. :)

I'm pretty sure the only lesson you're learning is that none of these motors or batteries contains enough smoke and fire for you. :lol:

Thud has landed in in the land of perpetual tan's...be finialising motors & getting Etards bike back together today. my checked bag had to lose 10#s for the airlines to take It LOL, by by mad money $$$$$ :cry: :lol: (can't take it with you)

Etard has a sweet junk pile & a pack of dogs every man can apreiciate!
I am pretty much commiting to using the CA120 motor for the race...we'll see if it can go the distance. Really interested to go against the hubbies again..so far I have only seen dogmans & Lukes clyte all volted up & going down...

whish me luck boy's. 4 days from nothing to a racer...& my batteries & wheels wont be here till friday!
PA180037.jpg

Whoohoo, another race event. This is what make ES a fun read. Good luck to all the electric racers, I hope you guys take the podium. We expect lots of photos and news coverage :mrgreen:

Thud, that is quite a bag of ebike stuff.

Note to self: if Luke asks to dyne my motor, vehemently refuse. :lol:

Well, the eagle has landed! He was carrying 100 lb suitcase filled with the jizz of a thousand ebikers wet dreams. Hopefull Thud is getting his bearings and is not zeroing in on any of my non scrap pile frames. There is something about a purple splash paint job that screams "Ebike" to that guy, don't know what all that means, but I'm happy to oblige.

Luke I will add those guys to the list, thanks for the heads up.

liveforphysics said:
John in CR said:
liveforphysics said:

Agreed, agreed. I was just excited to see if I could break 7hp on the dyno... I've blown up more motors on the dyno my friend... It's a chronic problem at this point. lol I still don't think I learned my lesson this time either. But perhaps a small step closer to learning my lesson. :)

I know you get a kick out of the destructive tests. Here's one for you that would be more exciting and dangerous. Find the physical rpm limit of a hub motor. Let's see some real shrapnel. :twisted:

I thought of a number 3 also. After the hard dyno run, don't shut it down, let the motor run no load for a minute or two. That will help it cool down much quicker instead of the magnets getting roasted by a very hot stator with nothing more than a bit of convection and smaller amount of radiation to dump the heat. The turbulent flow of running no load (of even a sealed hubbie) with very little power input is much safer for the motor, and a quicker route to the next run too.

Sparks will fly!!!

We are getting into this frame, WAY deeper than I thought we would, but today is build day, we hope to get this frame welded up today, some rims laced, and the Jr. Brute back on the road. Also, my controller from Willow Springs has been confirmed as operational so that is good news boys! If we have time, we are gonna hack that stupid 1" headtube off the jr Brute so I can put a decent fork on the beast AND some nice hydro brakes. Thud went through my tranny and replaced soome missing set screws and cleaned her up. Here are some pics I took last night:

IMG_0456.jpg

Before:

IMG_0453.jpg

after:

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

Building an ebike racer in 2 days is very impressive.....Thud is the man!

Another ebiker nikos7 has signed up for the Grange race........if this
keeps up you guys may hit the 20 number. :D

Only 2 days to go!
Please email me at MotorBicycleRacing@gmail.com if you want to join in
or just show up on Saturday 22nd at the track.

MotorBicycleRacing said:
Building an ebike racer in 2 days is very impressive.....Thud is the man!

Another ebiker nikos7 has signed up for the Grange race........if this
keeps up you guys may hit the 20 number. :D

Only 2 days to go!
Please email me at MotorBicycleRacing@gmail.com if you want to join in
or just show up on Saturday 22nd at the track.

Did you get my email registering 4 ebike riders?

MotorBicycleRacing said:
liveforphysics said:
Did you get my email registering 4 ebike riders?
Yes, I got you down for 4 guys arriving on Friday night.
Thanks

Ok, great. :) I just didn't see them added to the list of ebikers, and wanted to make sure you got the email.

Progress report:

As my scrap heap diminishes, Thud's race bike is quickly becoming a reality! So far it looks to take 3 cheap bikes and a weight bench, that should do it. While I run to the store to get some more brazing rod, I'll leave you with these pics:

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

You are such a badass Thud!!!

If you need anything I can bring down for you, let me know!

I can't wait to see it finished, it looks so fantastic so far!

You guys are awesome, but I can't believe that you're bigger procrastinators than I am. I thought I was the king of procrastination. Brazing bikes together on Tue/Wed for Saturday racing when the challenge now is to actually finish a race...WOW. I just hope it all works out. If I was within a few hundred miles I'd drive over to help in any way I could, in between practice runs of course. 8)

John

Go Thud Go! I don't know which is more exciting. The race to build or the race to win. Sounds like fun either way. You sure are cutting it close.

Back