SoCal Race ROLL CALL April 7th 2012 at Grange Race Track.

I am skipping Maui to make this race.

Don't worry Farfle, I'm not ready either- I've got half of my battery packs built (no sparkles!) and some vauge ideas about how the batteries are going to hang off the bike frames... I'm still trying to find the right place to put the current limit on these 12fet controllers- where there's enough thrust to be fun but not enough current to cook too fast... My brakes make sketchy noises and my fork kind of jiggles... Things are not all going to be perfect, but I think things will be good enough to have some serious fun. I can't wait to party with y'all this weekend.

Still to be addressed as well... the chinese puzzle of how all this stuff is going to fit in the car. :shock: It's going to be real tight.

These pics were taken just 45mins ago.

Paul was kind enough to CNC machine some beautiful dropouts for the new 12mm through-axle, and V-dog did some really pro wear-ding. I could not ask for better friends to stay with me at work past 10pm helping with my bicycle. They are both getting a few rounds of trap shooting and a nice dinner on me. :) Paul ran the CNC machine like a boss, I took a few short video clips I will put something together to show you guys.

20120402_221740.jpg

20120402_221721.jpg

This is V-dog, he has breast-quar-it-ty wear-ding. Seriously the guy TIG welds about 100x better than I do. lol Takes 10x longer than I do, but that still puts him 10x ahead. :)

20120402_222200.jpg

Gotta pickup some different sizes for the pedal chain sprocket setup tomorrow and maybe do some additional chain-line clearence fixes if needed, otherwise she is ready to rip with her new rear wheel, and lowered 150mm drop-outs. I'm stoked to rip on her tomorrow in testing!
20120402_223124.jpg

Im surprised to see you guys not running a gas lense on that torch. IMHO they are a godsend for tig welders. They direct the gas flow and let you use half the CFM, and you can get away with a silly amount of electrode sticking out of the cup to get into odd corners and stuff.

gas_saver_web.jpg

liveforphysics said:
I am skipping Maui to make this race.

Who didn't know that was going to happen? :lol:

I think this is the one for one of us on the plus side of 200lbs to take top spot on the podium. :mrgreen: If I was within 24hrs driving distance I'd be there for sure. I just finished a motor that I think would do well with enough controller. At least I have the 2 best days of the year for street ebiking coming up. Friday-Saturday there's almost 0 traffic except at the beach.

Did some testing in prep for this event. I had a crimp connection slip out for one of my packs... so I was pulling 750amps through 15Ah of Nano-Techs... They amazingly took it like the little champs they are, and got discharged down to 3.1v... Ouch! Poor cells!

I had a pull where I started to move my body position up (from being full tucked over the bars) before letting off throttle, to my surprise, it lifted the tire about a foot very quickly, and I was doing around 60mph. Feels pretty strong. New tire on the back has not slipped under power once so far! Really really happy with it!

The motor came back from my 5minute test ride with curls of smoke coming out of it, but not blasting out of it, and the smell is telling me burning epoxy rather than burning insulation, so I don't think I hurt her. Gotta find a way to get some more heat off this old girl though, or I'm going to have to dial the power back, and nobody wants to see me dial the power back, kinda defeats the whole point of going to a track to watch a spectacle occur doesn't it? lol :mrgreen:

If anyone has any brilliant cooling ideas, please PM me with them (just so we can keep this thread semi-on-topic).

liveforphysics said:
If anyone has any brilliant cooling ideas, please PM me with them (just so we can keep this thread semi-on-topic).

Public Message: Create a vortex tube cooler using one frame tube. Use another tube as a compressed air tank. Hit turbo button to blast motor with icy air.

-Brian

Down to a little commuter bicycle,
my Stewart/Hass clone has no ignition

Will start a "what the heck" thread
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38392

Interesting to read about 12th hour issues, wish everyone the best. Yeah Luke, thought those Nano's would go down to 2.9V p cell safe enough but I lost 1 brick right around 3.0V.

Attachments

• DeadLooks.jpg
    DeadLooks.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 1,652
Fabricator got my motor in the new swing arm. Just waiting on my new rear brake with a long 1900mm hose to show up now so he can finish the brake mount. Then we have to relocate the shock mount on the swing arm to allow me to use my longer shock with a 750lb spring. I hope this all works out.

liveforphysics said:
and nobody wants to see me dial the power back, kinda defeats the whole point of going to a track to watch a spectacle occur doesn't it? lol :mrgreen:

Luke, we want to see you WIN races too! I've had enough of the DNF's. Throw some podiums in there once in a while, just for kicks. We're rooting for you!

itchynackers said:
liveforphysics said:
and nobody wants to see me dial the power back, kinda defeats the whole point of going to a track to watch a spectacle occur doesn't it? lol :mrgreen:

Luke, we want to see you WIN races too! I've had enough of the DNF's. Throw some podiums in there once in a while, just for kicks. We're rooting for you!

Aww, thank you for the kind words. I'm personally satisfied with however an event turns out as long as I left everything I had to give on the track, but I agree, it would be fun to win one overall finally. I did win over all electrics including PaulD at the last event though. :) But smoked my damn hall sensors at the end and didn't have a powered machine for the final, I still pedaled and putted it around though. lol

nicobie said:
Anyone know if Paul D will make it?

Last time I spoke to him he said he was not likely to be able to make it.

I'm 90 percent there with his bike though, should be ready to race come Saturday.

Dan Hanebrink posted his race bike on SoCal Motor Bicycle Racing's facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SoCal-Motor-Bicycle-Racing/220123641415317?ref=tn_tnmn

Looks like a serious race face on Dan and the bike! :mrgreen:

557221_10150916682363032_186695383031_12971929_1811509532_n.jpg

Right on! Dan Hanebrink rocks! I like that guy and his unique custom home-brew electric machines.

acuteaero said:
nicobie said:
Anyone know if Paul D will make it?

Last time I spoke to him he said he was not likely to be able to make it.

I'm 90 percent there with his bike though, should be ready to race come Saturday.

Nope, not going to make it this time. Best of luck against the gassers, guys. Looks like there will be some super quick bikes on both sides.

Low power class sneak peak:

2012-04-04_18-38-58_242.jpg

2012-04-04_18-39-59_803.jpg

Who all is planning to come out Friday night? I'm gonna try to make it unless the bike shop doesn't have my wheel laced by Friday for the Jr. Brute.

So hard to not throw the bike in the car and start driving right now. I'm just to weak to drive that far still. I'da showed up for a DR, but Tucson is only 300 miles from the house.

Have a great run, and get on the track video for us lame armchair racers!

dogman said:
So hard to not throw the bike in the car and start driving right now. I'm just to weak to drive that far still. I'da showed up for a DR, but Tucson is only 300 miles from the house.

Have a great run, and get on the track video for us lame armchair racers!

Wifey drive you bro? Or stims?

etard said:
Low power class sneak peak:

2012-04-04_18-38-58_242.jpg

2012-04-04_18-39-59_803.jpg

Who all is planning to come out Friday night? I'm gonna try to make it unless the bike shop doesn't have my wheel laced by Friday for the Jr. Brute.

Damn! you made that cast mount look purty there e-tard......I am with dogman :( If i didn't have to run to chicago monday.......ah who am i kidding, its only a 30 hour drive form here! next saturday is a race in Maryland..... :idea:

:twisted: get thee behind me devil!

hey, why didn't you make a front wheeldrive, friction drive, with that big pie hubbie?
That would answer a LOT of un-asked questions!
Good Luck all & have some fun.

Back