SoCal Grange Race Roll Call!!!! Congrats PaulD!!!

Where can I get one of those electric dogs?

We need some electric vids! More please!

thanks for the pics etard,now im off to look for non noticeable dogs.

sweet. i still wanna see race footage from the vantage point of someone here on the sphere. itll probably be pretty interesting. :twisted:
some awesome builds from team thud/etard. i really like the brazed frame of the race bike. :mrgreen:

Blasting back up toward San Fransisco with Lyen now, thinking about the amazing day yesterday-

Here are the group shots I took just after Thud and Etard showed up:
IMG_0929.JPG

Left to Right: Etard, Lyen, ?, PaulD, liveforphysics, Thud, Paul S., Farfle, Biff, zombiess. The bikes are the 1st and 2nd place finishers, PaulD and Farfle's bikes. Photo was taken after Nicobie, shinyballs, SoSauty, Evoforce, and Farfle's awesome rider Aidan had left. Jay64 also didn't make it into the picture, sadly.

Here's a silly picture- "Everyone look sad and disappointed except PaulD"
IMG_0930.JPG

It really doesn't tell the whole story, though- it was an amazing weekend of team-work and a great showing of preparation, skill and luck from just about all corners. I don't think that anyone could have been really disappointed by the events of the weekend. Ups and downs, sure, but altogether an incredible event, and an even more incredible showing from all the ESers involved!!!

dogman said:
Awesome results. Bummed Thud didn't get into the final action, but thrilled that Paul won. Amazed Lukes bike held up for as long as it did. Great going guys!

Curious about the lipo fire. Panting to see some vid, but understand you may need to get home, then have time to edit and post it.

Luke will eventually get it 100% on all the bike, Not just the electrekity chit.

Love that second pic, Paul D seems like such a happy chap.
Looks like one of those individuals with an infectious smile.

I still feel bad for poor ol Thud though, came so far got so
close only to fall short At the end, bad luck buddy, was
Huge task to take on I hope your enjoying the vacation
Anyways mate.

KiM

liveforphysics said:
Kurt said:
The pics and video of this day's racing are going to be great. Nothing like a out of control bike more power than the tyres can handle from a spectators perspective. :D

I am shocked that PaulD bike is only 3hp - 2.2kw and can hit 49mph and be competitive - 1st place. Surely it would have to be more than 2.2kw even just to hit 49mph?

Actually I would be keen to know more specs on his bike , controller, voltage, amps, mods to the motor.

Kurt

I was just saying it felt like ~3hp. I think he was running 66v lipo pack at 55amps, so using 80% for motor and drive train efficiency, that would make it 3.8hp.

First thanks for the congrats from everyone, it was great to see fellow Ebikers I met in Tucson, and meet some new ones. The bike was the same as at the Death Race except the controller was a lyen 24 fet set up for max 100A battery current. So, about 6kw peak into the controller. Gearing was roughly the same at 10:1.
I was awesome to ride with Luke and Aiden and others, I was blown away by how fast she was on a super nice build by Farfle. Definitely getting more competitive in the ebike class, but we need more riders out there!

Also big thanks to Nick and Kenny for setting up the pit area and being prepared with generator, water and tables, don't know what we would have done without ya!

PaulD said:
the controller was a lyen 24 fet set up for max 100A battery current. So, about 6kw peak into the controller.

24 fet controller and 100A sounds more like it :D . It had me stumped how you could be so fast on only 66v with only 55A.

Keen to see all the ebikes in action we need more video.

Kurt.

Yes that fire pic makes me wanna go burn some of my puffy packs. It is amazing!

Well, we finally got Thud's bike running today. It required a monster sprocket which looks really good on a 20" tire, it just disappears because it's lexan and see through. We had a few runs on the CA 120 motor and it was running STRONG but then something went "POP" and it quit working. So we took the remaining bit of energy we had for building ebikes and swapped out the motor to a 130 KV motor which required the use of Thud's monster sprocket! :twisted: I'm a big fan of monster sprockets! I don't think we had the halls combination correct because it seemed kinda weak to us. Nonetheless, after a week of blood sweat and tears we called it a success and promptly began tearing it down and cleaning up.

Well Thud is all packed up, and I need to catch some zzzz's before getting up at 3:30 and shipping him back to Michigan so he can recover, regroup, and relax before our next great adventure. Death Race here we come!!!

Oh by the way, my bike was running pretty damn fast before it blew through the second set of freewheel keys that we tried to harden. I would say it can keep up with Farfle's bike if not PaulD's. I will have to get some of that 420 epoxy and see if I can't take it up to Grange one of these days and compare lap times.

Zoot Katz said:
Now that the stinkies have been truly handed their asses maybe they won't let the ebikes play any more.
. . .or they'll go gas free themselves for next year.
Luke's repeated stopping and starting, only to pass them and die so he could pass 'em again, must have aggravated a few riders.
Luke # 100 is listed on the scorecard at dead last for most of the 6 laps that he completed
so he wasn't really aggravating anyone.
You are an ahole like a few of this forums members that will never show up to a race and just don't quite get what it is all about.
Even ebiker ahole's like you are more than welcome at the next SoCal race if I am
crazy enough to do it again.

You would think you would be a little grateful that the stink bike guys are providing a
venue that includes ebikes. It is a lot of frocking work to put on a race you ingrate.
You will probably be waiting a very long time for Luke to host his free race or did you
forget about that?

Almost none of the gas bike guys are interested in going electric.
We like the sound, smell and almost everything about gas bikes and I know that a lot
of the ebikers that raced are gearheads too. Nothing like hearing AGk's and CCC's
4 strokes blap down the straight and the aroma of castor oil from the 2 strokes.

I rode both PaulD's ebike and scotto's 10? hp 4 stroke that would have won the < 11 hp
gas bike class if he hadn't of fallen off in the off camber corner on the 12th and final lap
when he was leading by a 1/3 of a lap.

Both bikes lifted the front wheel very easily on take off with PaulD's bike being more
sensitive as it is lighter and more powerful.
PaulD's bike accelerated faster than the 4 stroke and really took off over 40 mph.
You can't compare ebike and gas bike power figures and the race bike classes were only
made with gas bikes in mind.

I like anything that goes fast and that includes ebikes or cars. I rented a Mustang to
get to the track and was redlining it every chance that i got.

All the ebikers who showed at the first race at Willow Springs and Grange were great.
Fantastic to finally meet Thud after talking to him quite a few times. Really sorry that
Thud and etard did not complete your over ambitious task of building a race bike in a couple
of days and didn't get to race at the track. Same goes for Jay64 coming all the way from
Florida to only get to run in one race.
Farfle, I hope that you and your team come back for the next race.
Also truly disappointed that Luke broke his bike yet again and did not get to race against
AGK's #81 20 hp 4 stroke in the Unlimited class.

Huge thanks to SoSauty who really supports motorized bike racing in more ways than
he wants to be acknowledged about.
Hey Will, I couldn't have pulled it off without your help and it is a bummer that you didn't
get to finish this time. If you make it to the Death race next Saturday I hope it goes
better for you.

Congratulations to #109 PaulD for winning the Ultimate Race! You are one class act.
You get the #1 plate for the next race and win a custom sized Manic Mechanic sprocket
adapter and sprocket of your choice between 28 to 72 teeth that will be shipped directly
to you. Please email me with your contact info including phone #.
Manic Mechanic's website is http://www.mmbikeparts.com and makes some very nice CNCed
parts for motorized bicycles.
The custom sized adapters are here http://www.mmbikeparts.com/custom_adapters.htm

Also congratulations to 2nd place #116 Farfle and his very fast and smooth rider Aiden.
Sorry, there is no prize for 2nd place because it's just a mickey mouse amateur event
with no budget and only a few sponsors. You definitely get bragging rights though......
There were only 2 women on the track at Grange. #29 Karen came in 7th in the 2 stroke class.

#6 was 3rd in the Ultimate Race and the 15 year old son of CulverCityClassic on a Harbor
Freight 4 stroke.

#3 scotto was 4th in the Ultimate Race on a Harbor Freight 4 stroke.

#69 Easy Rider was 5th in the Ultimate Race on a 11 hp water cooled Morini.

#1 magrider was 6th in the Ultimate Race on a 66cc Chinese 2 stroke stink bike.

#19 Flexman was 7th in the Ultimate Race on a Harbor Freight 4 stroke.

Take it easy, Zoot is just a die hard anti burn any fossil fuel guy. It's all stinkers and cagers with him. But he's not a bad guy, and extremely knowlegeble about bicycles after a lifetime on em. For some in the EV world, it's a crusade.

When I've been at the DR, I've been thrilled to be out on the track with the noise and the stink. It really does add to the track ambience and excitement. But honestly, I do prefer the nearly silent zzzzzzt sound of a fast electric. Out on a dirt bike, I'm allowed on bike trails where a stinker would be hounded off and perhaps even arrested. I think most of the racers who do show up feel the same, and have or have had something fast at home that burned gas. But that doesn't stop us from talking smack at the track about the gas bikes. So don't take it so personal, it's just the normal brags in the pits between riders that would take a tire off thier bike if you needed one for the main.

I wasn't there for the CA races. But I still appreciate and thank you, for putting them on. Tuscon is a long way from SF, so a California motorized bicycle racing scene is a great thing. There's clearly enough riders to keep it going, so I hope you do that.

As for the whole, gas vs electric thing, It's over. Both are crazy fast now, and the one to beat is more and more going to be somebody 15-25 and fearless, regardless of the type of motor. Man, the class of riders has really left us old grey hair wannabe types waaay behind. Rider skill is the only thing that shows now in the first 10 finishers on the track, not the kind of motor. Sure, you can build a really fast bike very light, but the real reason Paul D wins is his incredible skill in the corners.

MotorBicycleRacing.

Thanks for the long post and all the information and all of your werq to make this happen. I echo dogman's words about the Zoot thing. Despite what many say I can see that things could have gone either way, gas or electric, in the race. Crashes and breakdowns really can change the outcome of any race.

MotorBicycleRacing

I just wanted to publically thank you for allowing me to run my Ebike in the 50cc class after not making the 2nd Ebikes heat due to having safety gear problems. I tried to stay out of their way, not be agressive or push anyone off their line since I was a guest in that race. It was the only race I finished since I didn't crash and I had so much fun. Thanks for putting on the event and letting me get track time like that. If you would have been anything like the people who work the LVMS drag strip I run my car at i probably would have gone postal, but you clearly understand this is about having fun. Thank you.

MotorBicycleRacing,

Thanks for organizing this event. Sorry I could not make it, sounds like a good place and only about 8 hours away from me. Hope to make it next time.

Impressive performance from machines and riders.

It is just amazing what can be done with these little coke can motors, but in the end riding skill on a machine that doesn't fail win the day.

Video please, by tomorrow morning. Whimper. :cry:

Here's some from the 11 hp gas race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_tkaevwKtQ

Cam rider crashes at about 5.45. Rides up another guys back wheel, then blames him back in the pits. :D Oh how it looks different to you when out racing.

Another vid link. Cool heli cam view of the track. Man, vicious tight corners. http://vimeo.com/31033817

This is awesome fun watchin the races!

MotorBicycleRacing,

Again, thanks for putting on this event!

Don't let a few trash-talk comments sour you on ES, all in good fun, I'm the first to admit in many ways there is a reason that gas vehicles are the dominate transportation, and it ain't some big tin-foil hat conspiracy! :lol:

I like it all, and I WILL still have a gas bike some day, but for now, the flexibility, simplicity (I ONLY have to worry about battery, wires & motor, no compression, oil mixture, and engine electrical to maintain/service) and utility of an E-Bike makes it a better option for me, I'd much rather use bike paths and not annoy the anti's who would scream bloody murder if I went by on something with a gas motor (not because of law, but ignorance), but not everyone who is annoyed by the sound is an anti-oil person either. :p

I just think most of us here have seen what many people's opinions of electrics VS gas on gas bike sites has been tainted by the anemic over-priced crap that litters most big box stores that claim to sell "E-Bikes" when what they are really selling is two wheeled mobility devices in most cases with such abysmal performance, that anyone fit enough to just pedal a regular bike can do better than lugging around an under powered, horribly equipped Walmart (brakes are dangerously low quality, shifters never stay working correctly longer than a week in many cases) bike with a underpowered, and poorly designed battery/drive-train, so I can understand their point.

Many of us have felt the underdogs in general because of this, and only the adventurous and mechanically inclined have been able to truly experience what a decent E-Bike can be, with a few exceptions (there are decent bikes off the shelf, but they are much less common than the cheapos), so we have felt the need to prove that E-Bikes can be a kick in the pants too! :wink:

I used to ride a lot on motorcycles, and race motorcycles a little (too expensive for my high crash rate on the track :oops: :twisted: ) and my re-discovery of the bicycle has allowed me greater health, as I suffer chronic fatigue, and the E-Bike means I can ride and get a good work-out even when I am not able to ride with much strength of my own.

I'm going to build a 4-stroke gas bike one of these days, not because I have anything against 2-strokes, but I'd prefer not to maintain a high performance 2-stroke over a 4-stroke (used to turn wrench on motorcycles too) which is just my preference. 8)

I'm really impressed at what is being built with HF 4-Strokes! :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

Sunday afternoon, Thud and I would not give up without a fight, switching controllers out, eventually figuring out the motor had failed somehow. THen we had to figure out how to get more gear down with a higher KV motor, then giving up on figureing out which hall combination would run the motor correctly, Thud chose the closest one and we went out to see what the Quick N Dirty (we need a name for this thing people) would do.

[youtube]lpkCvlRwY98[/youtube]

[youtube]nvz5NL7V9tU[/youtube]

[youtube]giaaDV0IBfk[/youtube]

Thud tore the bike down, but I still have the frame and some gear to put it back together. She will ride again, mark my words...

ahhhh I'm bummed I missed this.

but kinda glad, cause my new bike would've been smoked... and then I'd have to just build a faster bike.... :twisted:

good job everyone. looks like a blast. how did the other bikes do in the lower power classes?

Back