• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Super sized stand-up Scooter project. Build thread

Been working on making a mud guard today. Took quite some time cutting all the pieces then welding together, but am pretty happy with it now. I am still not sure where I am going to mount the controller so have made the mud guard as a possible place to mount.

The mud guard is attached to the swing arm, and as the knuckle was the pivot point of the suspension I was able to go very close to the knuckle with the mud guard without any risk of it hitting.

Also got some deliveries today; the power supply and braided sheath for the cables. Went for a 50Amp power supply. This should be just about right for powering the two controller at the same time. They are rated 300W each at 13.8V

Cables going to look much better sheathed with the stainless steel braiding. Nobody will know that it is actually only a tiny 7mm 9 core control cable. Have to run a single core for the third socket as I have had to use all 10 contacts so this will hide that too.

Here is a few pictures of todays progress.

9505a5fc.jpg

dc80eafd.jpg

6955eaa3.jpg

2b48bb95.jpg

3ea05685.jpg

e5ff2c32.jpg

54ea93d9.jpg

480fade9.jpg

38fd95f5.jpg

1680e9bb.jpg

168b802b.jpg

5e755f08.jpg

Went and grabbed some more material today to finish securing the deck. Used 40mm x 6mm flat bar with 16mm OD Tube welded on the ended, the tube is only 20mm in length but has two nuts welded either end which take it up to 40mm. The battery boxes will secure first from underneath using the bottom nuts, the tops nuts hold the deck in place and close the battery boxes to the elements.

Have not made the battery boxes yet, the batteries should arrive tomorrow and I already have the material. I am using 2mm steel sheet for the battery boxes. My plasma cutter should make an easy job of cutting the material to the required size. Then I will just weld the pieces together.

Here is a few pictures of my progress.

cf255d98.jpg

af759beb.jpg

1a344634.jpg

85733a58.jpg

3b3ee904.jpg

b8160306.jpg

Been working on the battery boxes today. Cut the panels out in under 5 mins, spent the rest of the day welding and finishing. Am happy with the box and how it mounts. It is actually two separate boxes, I welded a strip in the middle to reinforce them slightly. The boxes fit four 8 series 5AH Nano tech batteries in each side. They will be a snug fit, have foam pads that will be stuck on all over to keep them in place. Hopefully have left enough space to fit the two sockets which are needed on each battery box to charge each bank.

The series loop which doubles the pack voltage will have a high current isolator on in. This is because the charger would not allow the packs to be charge individually others wise. My last scooter had this issue, and I had to charge each pack one at a time.

Got the batteries today too. They turned up with very short balance wires with two 4s plugs on them, I was expected a single 8s plug. Have to lengthen all the connections and replace the two 4s plugs with 8 series single plug. This means making off 72 connections just to get the batteries right. I think by the end of the wiring I would of soldered around 150 connections.

Started on the connections and made the first four packs off with the extension and replaced with the 9 way JST plug, now I can read all 8 cells at once on the cell log.

Tomorrow, I will be focusing mainly on wiring. The frame is pretty much done now. The only further thing I can think off is a kick stand and some sort of locking loop to attach a lock too.

Here is a few pictures of where I at. The bolt underneath the battery box has spacer on it as it is too long, need to get proper length bolts but just using what I have to had to try it.

2dfa0499.jpg

ab616679.jpg

49cc2cbf.jpg

d1f3110b.jpg

83b491d6.jpg

ae1d117a.jpg

be6f083b.jpg

6030e6d6.jpg

8ce9e062.jpg

39af4e19.jpg

a6c92086.jpg

036c1f69.jpg

4a235896.jpg

Drilled the required holes in the battery box for the two sockets needed. Mounted the charge power to the rear of the battery box on the side, I mounted the balance sockets to the front of the battery box. This is so the cables naturally head towards the handlebars, for the display. Been fiddling around added foam pads and trying to get it all to fit. Thinks I have just about managed it. Ran out of heat shrink, so had to stop for the night. Have 5 of the batteries balance leads lengthened plus made up one of the parallel boards but have also run out of pcb headers. Got to order some extra crimps, most of the things should be here monday. The heat shrink I will grab tomorrow and carry on with the wiring. Won't be able to get anything going until I have made the other balance boards but these won't be despatched until Tuesday.

I have lots to get one with though so shouldn't hold me up. Got to figure out where to mount the controller, think im going to settle for the mudguard. Which only leaves the huge contactor to find a home for. The series isolater is going to located on the top right of the deck, its spring loaded and will easily shut off with a nice kick if I get in trouble, this will drop pack voltage to 30V killing the controller and dropping the main contactor.

Here is a few pictures of where I am at.

f46222ec.jpg

98dbb679.jpg

cef6f76d.jpg

aa269962.jpg

Thanks Punx0r glad you like the build.

Had to remake the battery boxes. Standing them on the side reduced the height of the box but made the particular awkward to work with, I just couldn't seem to get everything to sit nicely. Made a better job of the second boxes. Felt I could also do away with the middle piece and actually have them as two boxes. Everything fits better now.

Made of some of the cables and sheathed them with the stainless braid. There will be 6 sheathed cables running down the scooter. The sheath really improves the look, will look like some huge power cables, but actually inside is just control cables. The cables which come from the controller are made of to an amphenol plug. This will then go through a small box, basically there will be four sockets on the box. This will allow me to transfer from the controller plugs and configuration to send everything to their appropriate place out the other end. Have yet to make this box but won't take long as will only be small.

Still yet to mount controller or contactor. This job is really alot bigger than I imagine. I been up to 2am most nights soldering connections, 8 x 8 series batteries means everything is multiplied from my last build, used 20m of 1.5mm heat shrink, plus all the other sized heat shrink I have used. Nearly done a whole roll of solder too. I think I am about 75% through the electrics. Hope to have the project running by the weekend.

Here is a couple pics of where I am at.

d8e69b74.jpg

908741a9.jpg

b4e6aa42.jpg

d3b8fa32.jpg

97c5744a.jpg
677f8157.jpg

So do I. I am sure I will one day. Another learning curve for sure.

Finally got this running today. This is seriously fast!!! I have clocked 46mph so far on GPS. Have not looked at controller settings yet to know what it's putting out as default. Not sure if I have hit WOT throttle yet. It certainly felt like 60mph not 46mph

I have an issue. When I made the test chain up I ground head of the pin and punched it out, but not all the way I then used the same pin to complete the chain link not using a split link. Now that I wanted to use the drive chain for test ride I used the split link, which wraps the tensioner too far around the knuckle. Its ridable but this is slight marking when the must of been chain rub because of this.

A longer arm to hold the bottom tensioner sprocket should resolve this, or a complete chain made up without a split link.

I have couple pictures of completed frame as I rode it. Will try to get video done, before I strip it ready for powder coat. Pretty much looking like a success. Obviously a few minor issue to iron out, but am pretty happy with the results.

3ef9bfba.jpg

c2b5496f.jpg

7bc52170.jpg

274b2125.jpg

5b08159d.jpg

b810d42a.jpg

Wow looks amazing!

I love this build so much!

Is their a reason the wires are facing out from the controller?

Is it possible to turn the controller around and hide the wires under the frame, between the battery boxes?

Just wondering!

Badass!! How is the handling? I like what you did here man, it definately is a grown up's stand up! 8)

Solid wiring job too, stainless lines look nice.

Thanks for the replies. Glad you like my project.

The reason for the controller facing outwards is because the high current bus bars would be pivoting into the suspension knuckle. It's quite ugly in terms of cable routing. The current leads I fed between the boxes, I am considering doing that with the two cables that come out of the junction box. I would have to secure the one that is sheathed and add insulation as the 400amp fuse holder is bolted to a plate I welded down there too.

It handles really well, the speed really gets the blood flowing. It's not as nimble as a goped, but I feel it is probably more easy to handle than the original 50cc, although I never rode that. All the weight is pretty low down with this so assume that helps.

Im so inspired by this build! And I want to replicate it!

When you are done, do a review, and let us know what you like dont like...

No more updates?

Maby he got cough by police on the freeway overtaking other cars ahahahahah!...

Thanks for the replies. Going to be stripping the scooter this week to get it off to powder coat. At the moment I have not even looked at the controller settings but I know that I am getting 50mph on WOT and the acceleration is very fast!

I am sure there is head room in the controller settings to further speed it up, but wont try this until I reassemble the scooter. There is a few alterations I want to make to the tensioning system before I try this.

Got a quick video of my mate on the scooter, and also a little head to head with a 50cc. Which was pointless as there was no competition lol.

[youtube]HZfPU7wmd1c[/youtube]
[youtube]caOSkmhgPjE[/youtube]

Back