Tsdz2 firmware open source adapted to vlcd5, vlcd6 and xh18

jgs1 said:
Speed limit is no problem , but on my 48v bikes when setting maximum off road max watts to 250w "Max battery power setting "
the software in " Street mode" and " Off road mode " will also limit the bike to 250w burst mode too ...
Sorry if I haven't explained clearly
The problem with the 48V version is, that it never will be streetlegal, because that motor is formally specified as >500W continues.
Limiting the maximum power to 250W is not the same as limiting the continues power to 250W.
The last is something you can't change, because it is hardware bound, but as said not easy to measure too.
imho you have only to deal with speedlimit and can set maximum power as high as you find safe.

Elinx said:
jgs1 said:
Speed limit is no problem , but on my 48v bikes when setting maximum off road max watts to 250w "Max battery power setting "
the software in " Street mode" and " Off road mode " will also limit the bike to 250w burst mode too ...
Sorry if I haven't explained clearly
The problem with the 48V version is, that it never will be streetlegal, because that motor is formally specified as >500W continues.
Limiting the maximum power to 250W is not the same as limiting the continues power to 250W.
The last is something you can't change, because it is hardware bound, but as said not easy to measure too.
imho you have only to deal with speedlimit and can set maximum power as high as you find safe.

Oh i see
I need to flash the controllers with 36v version software, swap the 48v motors to 36v to make batteries all 36v
I'll do one and see how it performs
Cheers
Or swap the motors to 36V version and run them on (my original 48v batteries ) max battery of 5 amp 48v = 500w , would that be street legal ??????
I have one set up like that and it performs well

jgs1 said:
Oh i see
I'll do one and see how it performs....
It all depends what you are trying to achieve.
100% streetlegal or almost streetlegal with not changeable 25km/h speedlimit
The bare motor will only be streetlegal if you keep the hardware values as specified.
Because the hardware is responsable for temperature rise, which determines the continuous power
So a 36V battery for 36V 250W motor.
That the 36V motor will run more smooth and cooler with 48V battery doesn't matter.

As said, imho only speedlimit matters, because this could be measured relatively easy.
Maximum continues power isn't easy to measure and imho on the street even impossible.

If you are worried about street legality. Buy the 36V tsdz2 version of Enerprof Germany.
They sell the tsdz2 with non-flashable controller and non-changeable speedlimit.

Elinx said:
jgs1 said:
Oh i see
I'll do one and see how it performs....
It all depends what you are trying to achieve.
100% streetlegal or almost streetlegal with not changeable 25km/h speedlimit
The bare motor will only be streetlegal if you keep the hardware values as specified.
Because the hardware is responsable for temperature rise, which determines the continuous power
So a 36V battery for 36V 250W motor.
That the 36V motor will run more smooth and cooler with 48V battery doesn't matter.

As said, imho only speedlimit matters, because this could be measured relatively easy.
Maximum continues power isn't easy to measure and imho on the street even impossible.

If you are worried about street legality. Buy the 36V tsdz2 version of Enerprof Germany.
They sell the tsdz2 with non-flashable controller and non-changeable speedlimit.
They now do a 48v motor 250w
The plot thickens , they're selling 48v as 250w continuous
seems like the new 2020 controllers are slightly different from what I can gather so this firmware cannot be copied direct to
older controllers ( sort of makes you both wrong and correct at the same time, 250w 48v TSDZ2 motor is legal with 250w software but it's really all down to the speed limit restriction )

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264810250329?hash=item3da7ebc059:g:excAAOSwr85hw07k

jgs1 said:
Hi
Yes that's what I sometimes do too when lending bikes to others but that limits the MAX current draw to 250w from the battery
effectively disabling any short term boost , I measured the watts when the battery was limited to 250w and it only went upto about 290w max when pushing hard on the pedals
In street mode 250w with battery set at 500w the max burst mode will go up to about 450w + at times (measured with a meter ) , very handy in the mountains
many 250w EMTB often will hit 650w in short bursts.

This is only a thing when you lend bikes to friends and family , not fair to put then in a legally grey situation if they had a crash
Some of my lot frighten me to death lol

We could set the max battery to 6-700w and still be 100% kosha in 250w street mode ( with good burst power )
could be nice additional touch for your great software
Setting the maximum power to 500W even in street mode is not illegal.
Consider that on native ebikes the motors are declared nominal 250W, but all reached 700W as maximum power.
The problem is the 48V motor.
Installing a 48V motor declared 750W on the card, even if you limit the power in the firmware, it can be cause for dispute.
I agree with Elinx that a power check on the road is unlikely, but in the event of a serious accident it cannot be ruled out.

In my opinion, there are three important things to be legal:
1 - Do not install the accelerator.
2 - Set maximum speed at 25km / h, both in street and offroad mode.
3 - Install motors 36V 250W with 36V battery, this protects from any dispute on the power, regardless of the settings. Personally I only use these motors.
We could set the max battery to 6-700w and still be 100% kosha in 250w street mode ( with good burst power )
could be nice additional touch for your great software
I did not understand this.
Elinx said:
I have a doubt that it is completely legal.
By moving the sensor magnet, the speed is not detected and the motor does not stop at 25km / h.
Isn't that an easy way to bypass the speed limit?

jgs1 said:
.... 250w 48v TSDZ2 motor is legal with 250w software ....
I don't know how this is done, but continues power is only hardware dependent, like the size of the coils, max.current through the coils etc.
(FYI: Only maximum power can be limited by software and can be usefull to limit the temperature of the motor.)
Maybe they use a 36V bare motor. But in that case you need less current for same power. Less current is less heatrising, so higher continues power (ca.330W) is possible.

mbrusa said:
By moving the sensor magnet, the speed is not detected and the motor does not stop at 25km / h.
Oops, forgotten this :oops:

The first Tsdz2 versions with these controllers did need a special sequence for changing the speedlimit, which isn't possible with the later versions anymore. But indeed, rotating the speedsensor does the job.
I read some rumours of Enerprof that Tongsheng is developing a Canbus controller (like Bafang did). Imho in that case every custom tuning will end.

Elinx said:
jgs1 said:
.... 250w 48v TSDZ2 motor is legal with 250w software ....
I don't know how this is done, but continues power is only hardware dependent, like the size of the coils, max.current through the coils etc. (Only maximum power can be limited by software and is usefull to limit the temperature of the motor.)
Maybe they use a 36V bare motor. But in that case you need less current for same power. Less current is less heatrising, so higher continues power (ca.330W) is possible.

mbrusa said:
Oops, forgotten this :oops:

The first Tsdz2 versions with these controllers did need a special sequence for changing the speedlimit, which isn't possible with the later versions anymore. But indeed, rotating the speedsensor does the job.
I read some rumours of Enerprof that Tongsheng is developing a Canbus controller (like Bafang did). Imho in that case every custom tuning will end.

I just ordered a "2020" 48v 250w controller from Enerprof , I'll try it with a 48v motor /battery setup .
always thought that Bosch/ Samsung etc ebike motors can do way more than 250w continuous and were only really limited by the controllers

jgs1 said:
always thought that Bosch/ Samsung etc ebike motors can do way more than 250w continuous and were only really limited by the controllers
No, the problem is that there could be a huge difference in continues power and maximum power between all different motors.
If the motor has effective cooling this maximum power could be hold longer than without it. So it looks more powerfull.
I think Bosch can do 700W max. without a problem, but the motor is still 250W continues specified.
The motor will burn if you need that 700W all the time :flame: .

can anyone share settings for acceleration / deceleration ? so that motor starts only when pressed and stops immediately (no half second delay) ? now when im on the move and change gears even when the pedals are spinning freely - they react on slight move without pressure , and you can feel that casette hits . can this be soften ?

Hi,

Newbie here, and although I've spent weeks trawling this forum and others for as much information as I can, some of it still seems confusing to me. That or I just haven't found what I'm looking for.

Is there a step by step guide anywhere for people who want to use the OSF adapted for VLCD5? I have seen bits here and bits there, and I get the gist of most of it. But there are elements to it I'm just unsure of. Being a complete novice, I'd really appreciate some straight forward step by step help on how to. From what to download. In what order. And what to do. Right until the job is done.

I'm sorry if this is too much to ask, or if something like this already exists, could you point me in the direction of it?

Thank you, and forgive me.

Clueless88 said:
Newbie here, ....
Is there a step by step guide anywhere for people who want to use the OSF adapted for VLCD5? .....
You can start reading the wiki :wink:
It start with a 7 steps guide

If you download the firmware, you will find some manuals inside.
The configuration manual has also a short guide

Elinx said:
Clueless88 said:
Newbie here, ....
Is there a step by step guide anywhere for people who want to use the OSF adapted for VLCD5? .....

Ok so I read it all, and I've tried to do it. And I just can't. For someone who rarely uses a computer and hasn't for many years. I just don't get certain aspects of it. Download this, download that, make sure you save it here, hey presto there you go....... That might be all well and good to someone clued up, but I'm not, and far from it. I need more help. Shown how. Is nobody willing to do a video detailing each step so more people can access and use this OSF. Because otherwise, I feel people who aren't as computer savvy as others are being pushed out of the OSF benefits. For many people out there, who need a more in-depth guide, the current guides mean nothing. I just wish there was more genuine help on this topic and not just a "go read this", that doesn't help at all. If it did nobody would be asking.

Hi
I should have the 48v 250w controller soon , plan to try it with 48v battery with 48v motor first , if it runs smooth quiet and normally measures 250w to 500 w ( 5 amp -10 amp draw )and accelerates normally , then would it be logical to assume that they're using the 48v motor with these controllers , any suggestions

jgs1 said:
... would it be logical to assume that they're using the 48v motor with these controllers ,...
A 36V motor with 48V battery on 5 or 10A runs also smooth on 250W-500W :wink:

The Enerprof 32bits controller is another than the flashable 8bits controller and the stock firmware is very different, so you can't compare their behaviour and conclude which motor it is.

Clueless88 said:
... I read it all, and I've tried to do it. And I just can't. For someone who rarely uses a computer and hasn't for many years. ....
I think in that case a video will be not enough, because if you don't understand even the basic instructions and need a video how to do this, I think your problems will be bigger when setting up the configuration for your use.
We can help if you have specific questions, but communication will be very difficult if something goes wrong and you don't have basic computer skills.

You can find on youtube some videos how to connect and flash the first OSF editions for 3e party display.
This video shows how to connect the STlink before flashing. (ignore the flashing process)
The OSF version for stock display is easier to flash with just one button push
But you must download and install SDCC, STVP and Java RE yourself.
Setup the configurator is straightforward in the first place, but calibrating the torquesensor could be more difficult with the "button dance" on display.

I have 2 tsdz2's with vlcd, now 1 vlcd5 died. Tempted to buy the tsdz2B with a 850c display from psw. Is it a possibility to flash the motor with mbrusa's firmware without flashing the 850c? Or do I have to buy the controller to flash 850c then also?
Or just get mbrusa 860/850c firmware to flash the motor and then thats enough?

Clueless88 said:
Ok so I read it all, and I've tried to do it. And I just can't. For someone who rarely uses a computer and hasn't for many years. I just don't get certain aspects of it. Download this, download that, make sure you save it here, hey presto there you go....... That might be all well and good to someone clued up, but I'm not, and far from it. I need more help. Shown how. Is nobody willing to do a video detailing each step so more people can access and use this OSF. Because otherwise, I feel people who aren't as computer savvy as others are being pushed out of the OSF benefits. For many people out there, who need a more in-depth guide, the current guides mean nothing. I just wish there was more genuine help on this topic and not just a "go read this", that doesn't help at all. If it did nobody would be asking.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news... but it's an open source project where it is good will not $$$. Everything is because the developers want to contribute something to the community. This is one of the most extraordinary projects where there are even manuals etc. from committed developers like Mbrusa.

You have to learn something yourself. Expecting to be spoon fed from a project without paid developers... what can I say. What is your contribution? Have you got special skills? Have you published a completely beginner friendly guide alongside a freely published large amount of work in your area of expertise? Would you?

w0utje said:
....Tempted to buy the tsdz2B with a 850c display from psw.
Buying the 850C or 860C with Tsdz2 can be confusing. This because you can buy one specific for Tsdz2 or one for Bafang.

If it is for Tsdz2, it can't be flashed and you need osf for stock display (vlcd5 etc...) and flash controller only with java configurator.
If it is for Bafang, you must do some soldering for the connector and flash the bootloader of it too.

Edit
I see you had the same question in another tread too and mbrusa did answer the same with less words.

Realize it isn't needed to ask this more than once.

Tried the Endoprof controller with 48v and 36v motor 48v was quieter
48v seemed to have slightly more power but was no discernable difference
maximum watts boost was Volts x 12a , both seemed to cut off occasionally for no good reason ( about 20kph ) and then spring back into life and both had the annoying run on for a split second.
I thought the 36v had slightly more initial boost.
I would guess that they're using 36v motors but could be wrong

Clueless88 said:
Elinx said:
Clueless88 said:
Newbie here, ....

try find somebody in your area to help . try to understand and try harder . nobody will do this for you . sorry but this is the nature of open and free projects . ppl work for free only so much as they want mostly for themselves and mbrusa is still doing outstanding job helping ppl around here .
honestly , the most annoying part for me was to wait for st link to send me download links ...

Elinx said:
w0utje said:
....Tempted to buy the tsdz2B with a 850c display from psw.
Buying the 850C or 860C with Tsdz2 can be confusing. This because you can buy one specific for Tsdz2 or one for Bafang.

If it is for Tsdz2, it can't be flashed and you need osf for stock display (vlcd5 etc...) and flash controller only with java configurator.
If it is for Bafang, you must do some soldering for the connector and flash the bootloader of it too.

Edit
I see you had the same question in another tread too and mbrusa did answer the same with less words.

Realize it isn't needed to ask this more than once.

It came specific with the tsdz2b, its not a bafang version. 6 pins out of the box for a tongsheng, saw the other topic later. Sry.
Used to be in this tread most of the time, that why I crossposted. Didnt see a delete option.

I am new to the group and just installed the Tsdz2B and VLCD5. All is working as expected but I am intrigued by the added features of the OSF. I am very computer literate and capable of setting up and loading the new firmware. I have read through much of the pages of posts here but there are still some things I am not fully understanding.
1. If I want to keep the Vlcd5, do I need to flash new firmware to it as well as the motor controller? If so, where can I find a connector for the 8 pin model and the pin out?
2. Will all of the features of the OSF work on the Vlcd5?
3. If I decide to change to the 860c display, will it be as easy to in sunlight as the Vlcd5?

SYOTR said:
1. .. do I need to flash new firmware to it as well ..
2. Will all of the features of the OSF work on the Vlcd5?
3. ..860c display, will it be as easy to in sunlight as the Vlcd5?
1. No, the Vlcd5 itself can't be flashed. You only need to flash the controller with Java configurator.
2. Yes, but you must setup the desired basic configurations first inside Javaconfigurator
3.LCD will always better readable in sunlight, but the screen of 860C isn't that bad and very useable too (better than 850C)

Back