Samsung INR18650-20R .. yes these cells can punch, new 24R

Why do I need to pay for the assembling kit? It's one of the nice item to have but it was not a requirement. So to answer your question: Zero.

Continuing the build now arranged in 15s just need to add the balance leads, discharge wires and heatshrink wrap it.

IMG_20130322_183630_zpsffcf4158.jpg

So I got around to finish this pack. It is a 15S 8Ah pretty compact pack. Added 22ga wire for balance wires to a DB25 breakout board for ease of balancing. I hope to enclose the breakout board in a small plastic enclosure or something. Discharge leads are 12ga cable with 45 amp andersons and a precharge plug already installed. The heatshrink I bought from batteryspace a while ago.

IMG_20130324_134612_zpsc646b29c.jpg

IMG_20130324_154719_zpseccc9673.jpg

IMG_20130324_155528_zps0a70ed8d.jpg

IMG_20130324_172918_zpsa56b1c82.jpg

SamTexas said:
Looks more like a plug for the pack voltmeter.

I don't have more pics but I can give you the seller.
These are VERY handy just make sure you have a flat screwdriver that has a really thin head. I found that 22ga wire was the limit as they fit in the holes but it was a tight fit (better for me)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300878978375

Please promise you won't buy em all as I have to make some more battery packs and will be using these.

I bought 2 one for the battery and one for the charger end. The charger I'm putting togeter is based off what jeremy did a while ago with the little titan chargers. I also bought a large quantity of 3S plus to make em so that I could connect it to the 3S balancer and the cables go to the breakout board. Then it is a matter of using a DB25 male to male extension as a charging plug.

The two wire plug is for my precharge.

999zip999 said:
Is that a temp. sensor on the 2 wire plug ? Like to find out how these compare to your A123's.

To be honest I have not run this pack yet on my bike only a couple of no load tests. With this pack all I wanted was to have a compact battery with modest capacity so that I could hit a higher speed on my idrive. As you all know the idrive frame is not known for having a lot of space in the triangle. I wanted to migrate from LIPO and these cells helped me achieve this. Taken I paid more for them but a single 4P string can put out 80 amps which is more that any other 18650 I've seen (li-io). If I had the space I would go with A123 cells but on a space limited application like mine I'd stick with these. If I had the money I could've gotten the panasonics with 2.9Ah but they were ~12$/cell compared to ~6$ for these.

migueralliart said:
If I had the space I would go with A123 cells but on a space limited application like mine I'd stick with these. If I had the money I could've gotten the panasonics with 2.9Ah but they were ~12$/cell compared to ~6$ for these.
That pretty much summed up the advantage of the high energy density afforded by 18650 cells. I have tried many different chemistry and format and nothing works better for me than 18650 cells on my ebikes. Light, small and long range are my first priority. Speed is at the bottom of my ebike requirement list.

HI,

I got the quote for 1200 cells, more than I can afford for the project (hoping for a larger discount):
We could only do the welding like split 5P small packs then you could connect all the packs by yourself.
Perfect. What I had in mind is small 5P packs with the connecting straps extended beyond the last cell so that I can easily them to bars and so that if there is a bad cell I can easily replace 5 cells.
Best price is $5.55/cell, do you want us to ship all the 1200cells (240 x 5P packs) all together in one total parcel? If so, we advise to send by Express, shipping cost is $589.00 in total, means each cell add $0.49 for shipping cost. I think this will be the best and most economic way to ship. As this battery is kind of heavy, 1200 cells gross weight is over 60KG.

Do you want us to put some space isolation shells as this is for safety reason. You may check attached picture. [black spacers - pictures already posted]

I have ordered 3 of these cells from the ebay post earlier in this thread. They arrived in 2 weeks from China using cheapest shipping, no hassles. Arrived in a box the size of two packs of cigarettes in my mailbox.

Panasonic, NCR 18650 PD, 2900 mAh, $13

The other cells listed "look like" they are from Germany. There has been a hold-up because the seller doesn't list postage to a foreign country and "some scams" use this to get a buyer to purchase without full knowlege. After sale is complete, buyer finds out postage is very inflated over actual shipping cost. The seller may be legitimate, but be aware you should contact this seller and arrange postage before purchase so the sale will not have delays.

Samsung, INR 18650 29E, 2900 mAh, $9

edit, German cells arrived one month after communication issues were resolved. Now to package them and ship to Doctor Bass in Canada.

I was looking for NCR18650Y cells... they where supposed to be available 6 months ago.

http://www.embedded-world.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/batterie2011/Sonnemann_Panasonic.pdf

So far I've been using this pack 3-4 times a week with a lyen controller set at 25 amps and a 700c MXUS geared motor. Great top speed and great economy at such speed. Battery pack after a 7 mile ride is not even warm to the touch. I'm really impressed with these cells!

Ordered another set to make a small 12S pack for short commutes to the grocery store and etc. Will update when I get to do that.

Next thing will be to try out the panasonic 2.9Ah.

@migueralliart - I assume, You don't have BMS protection for your Li-Ion pack?, If no, why not use Methods LVC modules protecting your Li-Ion? and Can you measure the Length x Width x Height with heat shrink wrapped. I wanna see if I could fitting inside the ODK Utility cargo bike's battery compartment.

I'm not a fan of using BMS's in my battery packs. I always have a conservative pack level LVC and I always check my voltages before a ride to make sure nothing is weird. The reason I don't buy Methods LVC modules is because I can't justify spending that amount for it. To each its own but I got too used to checking my voltages with a 8s cell log before and after a ride I don't even need any type of BMS or monitoring while riding.

I'll get the measurements for you after work today! The pack is really small. It fits inside a topeak EX bag but not too tight. 15S8AH is my favorite new size :D

@migueralliart - sweet, I will check the ODK utility cargo bike's battery compartment tomorrow. I'm thinking going order 2 of 14S 8Ah and paralleled to make 16Ah for my fiancée. Thanks for the measurement.

Samsung has begun making E-bike battery packs using the 29E cell. Previously this cell was only sold to second-tier vendors who repackaged these 18650's as cordless drill batteries,etc. Since Samsungs name will be on the product and it is specifically sold as an E-bike pack, I can only assume their QC and BMS will be very good. No word on price yet.

http://www.topsecretev.com/blog.php?id=5840033422930036264

I think it's good they are starting to fill out the gaps. The problem with these types of packs is that they ALWAYS are for a 500watts or less application. Also I believe the 29E cell will sag pretty bad if run past 2C but I still haven't seen any discharge graphs for those. The beauty of the 20R series is that the capability of high discharge is there. Yes you sacrifice capacity but I rather have a cooler non stressed cell than one that's constantly pushed to its limits.

We'll see what this year brings. I also saw that supowerbattery is also selling SONY 26650 2.6Ah 50amp capable cells.

Now THAT would be interesting to make a 20S2P pack of those for off-roading :D.

Maybe that's my next endeavor once I finish my hardtail pack.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50538

Time to start shopping for a modern full suspension frame.

Miguel, you sound like you have researched these more than anyone else around here. What was their intended application if the 20R has the best discharge rate? I am surprised they wouldn't use the 20R, and...should the new Sony cell be better than the Samsung 20R? Perhaps fatter cells for the same Ah, but higher C-rate?

$12, 26mm diameter / 65mm long (SE US26650VT T C111GQB11V), Free spot welded tabs and grouped cells
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-Lithiu...US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item338268e7fc

P5230007.jpg~original

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Also found these $7 cells from the same guy (supowerbattery111), includes free spot-welded tabs, and free cell grouping.

18650 cell, small 1500-mAh capacity, but 18A continuous discharge for each cell in a parallel string. So...10 cells for 15-Ah would provide 180A burst? twelve series strings for 12S/44V = 120 cells for 15-Ah/44V. (X $7 = $840?)

Samsung INR1865015Q

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-18650-I...503&pid=100005&prg=1088&rk=5&sd=221231245308&

The 20R's were designed for power tool packs. They are supposed to replace the lower capacity models 15m I believe.

Not really much research but field testing. I now have 2 packs and a third bigger pack is a wip.

So far I can't say anything bad about these cells. And the seller is responsive and replies back to my emails and conversations on Google talk. Also all the cells they shipped in bricks measured a really low IR and stay balanced after storage.

They had mentioned a purchase of 29E cells. While I like the idea of NMC I'm gonna loose the high discharge. I think I'll stick with the 20r for now since at least it retains a higher voltage during discharge.

I think that Sony cell is neat BUT they are expensive compared to the 20r. Also I can't find a discharge graph for it but supposedly it can do 50 amps discharge. On their last shipment they included one of the sony cells for me to test. We'll see how they perform but the price is a bit steep.

Hi guys I went for the Panasonic NCR 18650 PD, 2.9ah, rated for 10A continuous discharge. My pack is 14S5P giving ~ 15ah @ 52V. This bike it is going through a cellman 40A 12FET inferion controller. While the C rating of PD cells is lower than the Samsung 20R’s, the Panasonic C rating is high enough for my application but is more energy dense and at $7 per cell, a cheaper, lighter and smaller option.
I also used a 14S BMS from Cell man.
I bought 70 cells from Fasttech at ~ $7/cell. Soldering the tabs was easier than I thought once I went with an 80W iron. I also used battery holders from greenbikekit

http://www.greenbikekit.com/index.php/accessories/18650-cell-holder.html

I’ve done limited ‘field testing’ and my observation is a voltage sag of 3-4V at 40 amps and no issues with battery heat. The cells stay well balanced.

Can't seem to post a photo at the moment but will once it is working.
Cheers
Matt

Back