crf450r 45kw race bike build

Nice progress my friend! i’m also curious what made you go with the alta suspension?

Your jack shaft set up looks real clean! I’m sure you learned a lot from your last project and improved from that. I’m excited to see the final version :thumb:

Great work! 8)

TysonScott said:
wow look great!

whyd you go with alta suspension?

I already had th eforks because I used them on my ktm so I went with the shock to match the valving of the fork. Also because the valving on the alta was made to work with the constant torque of the electric motor.

My biggest problem with this build is that I had preodered the motor and it was supposed to come with an hall sensor so I bought the fardriver hall version to go with it. Then I got the motor and it has an encoder. so I need to find an hal sensor for the motor or I need a new controller :x

No way to adapt the classic hole effect setup of a QS138 ?

The end cap look the same. They are many chances that it just the same design with a bigger diameter.

Here a video of guy that opens it. It's in french, but basically, he says that he have one dead sensor on 3, testing them with a magnet. And he give a remplacement component link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku9TSinOUfM

Looking good, it is really interesting to see how it turns out :)

It is probably best to get a new controller and take advantage of the encoder.
It shouldn't be impossible to get most of the money back for an unused controller I think?
I mean they are popular now.

Any particular reason to go 26s 24p? Like it is exactly the amount of cells you can fit or something.
Otherwise I think it would be better to go 28s and take a little more advantage of the controller and motors capabilities.
I guess it wont really be necessary to chase the last few kw but anyway..

j bjork said:
Looking good, it is really interesting to see how it turns out :)

It is probably best to get a new controller and take advantage of the encoder.
It shouldn't be impossible to get most of the money back for an unused controller I think?
I mean they are popular now.

Any particular reason to go 26s 24p? Like it is exactly the amount of cells you can fit or something.
Otherwise I think it would be better to go 28s and take a little more advantage of the controller and motors capabilities.
I guess it wont really be necessary to chase the last few kw but anyway..
at first it was because that was the moste battery I could fit. But now I'm looking at other option because it will be too heavy.
I think I want to go with pouch cell instead but I can't seems to find a reliable website to buy them. I may be going to a 120v 800amp vesc controller.

Update on the build. I'm finally back to working on the bike. I sold the fardriver and got a modified version of the hesc mini from 3shulmotors. The controller will be water cooled. I decided to go for a 26s13p pack with molicel p45b cells. The battery will also be watercooled.

I have been working on the battery. I believe this is the final version. This is the biggest battery I can fit in without modifiying the frame. Also I wanted tho keep the battery inside the frame to reduce the risk of damage to the battery in a crash. I also got the radiator and my BMS with a display that will be where the gas cap was.
IMG_1786.JPEGIMG_1787.JPEGIMG_1788.JPEGIMG_1797.JPEGbms screen.PNGbms.PNG

TysonScott said:
looks good! what cells are you gonna use? how many kwh are you expecting?
I want to use the molicel p45b 21700. But right now it seems impossible to buy. Im expecting to have a 5.6kwh battery.

rivvs said:
TysonScott said:
I want to use the molicel p45b 21700. But right now it seems impossible to buy. Im expecting to have a 5.6kwh battery.

Nice, that's bigger than I though you'd be able to get without modifying the frame, I'm in the first steps of designing my battery for a 2009 crf 450, do you have the battery going up into the bottom of the gas tank, and back towards the shock?

TysonScott said:
rivvs said:
TysonScott said:

Nice, that's bigger than I though you'd be able to get without modifying the frame, I'm in the first steps of designing my battery for a 2009 crf 450, do you have the battery going up into the bottom of the gas tank, and back towards the shock?

Yes battery is going to the top of gas tank and back over the rear shock into the airbox. You will not be able to do this on your 2009 because the shock goes higher

Oh yea I see what you mean. How many watts is your goal for this build? Are you gonna do 120v?

I think 35a per cell burst is the sweet spot for these cells. Im at 350a from a 26s10p pack and it handles the draw perfectly.Its never more than 0.005 out of balance after a thrashing and barely even warm.So your 450a draw from a 13p pack should work just fine :)

I received the aluminium chain case. I Used to website hubs to get it cnc machined. It looks very good!!IMG_1813.JPEGIMG_1814.JPEG

j bjork said:
It sure looks good :thumb:
Have you finished the design of the chain tensioner?
Will you make the battery changeable?
5,6Kwh sounds good, but I think it will still be limiting.

The chain tensioner will be a roller on the chain. The tension will be adjusted with a bolt pushing the roller agains the chain. This desing is used in snowmobile and work very well. I tought about having the battery changeable but batteris are too expensive for me to have two of them. This bike will be used for motocross not enduro or harescramble so 5.6 kwh will enough and I will recharge between races.

speedy1984 said:
I think 35a per cell burst is the sweet spot for these cells. Im at 350a from a 26s10p pack and it handles the draw perfectly.Its never more than 0.005 out of balance after a thrashing and barely even warm.So your 450a draw from a 13p pack should work just fine :)

What is your voltage sag at 350a?

Working on the battery shape again. trying to see if there is enought space to fit everything inside this frame with a 13p battery.IMG_1817.JPEG

speedy1984 said:
Between 8-10v at 360a,so normal on a p42 cell pushing 35plus amps each. Actually turned the bike down to 300a and performs fantastic along with 3 up on the rear sprocket.I think you may need more cells if racing and if you are a fast rider at 450a tbh

Back