TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

FYI

Been working on a good temp sensor install...

The cap near the top has 5-6mm wall thickness.

I drill a small pilot hole (7/64 - 2.8mm) about 4mm deep, and screw the sensor in with a 6mm long 3mm self tapping screw (needs a pilot hole although it is self tapping)...

The sensor base itself is a good 1.5-2mm, so this lessens the length of the screw penetration, and is safe...

Maybe a drop of thermal compound behind it, install is solid and clean... Easily removeable/replaceable on the motor core by removing the screw - and I always use a mini JST connector as well for gear maintenance...

:bigthumb:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200305-122423.png
    Screenshot_20200305-122423.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,901
  • Screenshot_20200305-123329.png
    Screenshot_20200305-123329.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,901
ezrider1199 said:
Same. Gotta wait for a fix

redwater said:
Flashed firmware 0.55.0, and 850C_0.6.8, and "firmware error". I flash motor and display couple times, and still the same.
Should work by now!! I found I did an error.

Can you confirm that this is the latest file for 850c? 850C_v0.6.5-bootloader.bin

I ask because the version looks to be same as january's. I thought the newest one was 0.68.

casainho said:

Great work casainho!

sw102 0.6.8 and tsdz2 0.55.0 no more sudden motor pulls, can confirm. Much more responsive menu surfing now with fast clicks. One thing that remains as an issue for me is sw102 freezing when trying to enter "torque sensor" sub-menu.

hefest said:
Great work casainho!

sw102 0.6.8 and tsdz2 0.55.0 no more sudden motor pulls, can confirm. Much more responsive menu surfing now with fast clicks. One thing that remains as an issue for me is sw102 freezing when trying to enter "torque sensor" sub-menu.

Great!
Has the issue with getting motor assistance with the lights on been fixed?

casainho said:
ezrider1199 said:
Same. Gotta wait for a fix

redwater said:
Flashed firmware 0.55.0, and 850C_0.6.8, and "firmware error". I flash motor and display couple times, and still the same.

Which is corrected, display or motor firmware ??
On github disappeared 0.6.8 bootloader replaced by old 0.6.5 bootloader.

Nfer said:
hefest said:
Great work casainho!

Great!
Has the issue with getting motor assistance with the lights on been fixed?

I have no idea. No lights to test with. Didn't make sense getting the lights when I have 500 grams dynamo hub in the front wheel.

shodr said:
Hi, glad you solved your problem. If its intrest someone else, I also succeded. I bought third TTL adapter with CP2102 chip, and wired 850c and adapter to my ebike battery. And lo and behold it worked. I guess I got bad adapters and transformer.

One more question. I do not want to splice the display cable on VLCD 5 but want to use cable like 1t4 sold by
https://www.electrifybike.com/store/p116/1_to_4__Female_Cable_for_TSDZ2_Open_Source_Firmware_%28OSF%29__Upgrade.html#/
but he does not deliver to my country, Slovenia. Is there an alternative source.

Regards.

Nothing on aliexpress? They’ll ship to almost anywhere and it’ll probably be cheaper than anywhere else.

ezrider1199 said:
Can you confirm that this is the latest file for 850c? 850C_v0.6.5-bootloader.bin

I ask because the version looks to be same as january's. I thought the newest one was 0.68.
I was in an hurry so I did a few mistakes. Should be ok now, go and try.

eyebyesickle said:
FYI

Been working on a good temp sensor install...

The cap near the top has 5-6mm wall thickness.

I drill a small pilot hole (7/64 - 2.8mm) about 4mm deep, and screw the sensor in with a 6mm long 3mm self tapping screw (needs a pilot hole although it is self tapping)...

The sensor base itself is a good 1.5-2mm, so this lessens the length of the screw penetration, and is safe...

Maybe a drop of thermal compound behind it, install is solid and clean... Easily removeable/replaceable on the motor core by removing the screw - and I always use a mini JST connector as well for gear maintenance...

:bigthumb:

Great solution, thank you for sharing it :bigthumb:

After the latest release 2 days ago, I was finally able to update the wiki page Features and configurations on display.

One of my objectives is to share knowledge about ebikes technology, mainly about the motor and battery, so, I want to have a wiki with good notes for users to learn a bit more.

Today I added the table Available information to show on display with each available variable to be shown on customized numeric fields and graph and I added technical notes, like how the motor current is calculated or showing pedal human power formulas used:

image.png

image.png

OK, couple of things I'm confused about on the latest firmware and SW102:

1. I set motor type to 'exp 36v' (To enable the experimental high cadence mode on my 36v motor) - can't seem to get more than 18mph/30kmh out of the motor before the assistance cuts out, I'm assuming this is hitting the 90rpm cadence limit. I have this motor on a single speed and with the previous firmware (the fork that supports the standard displays) I was able to hit about 45kmh before my legs ran out of up &down ability :)

2. 20 assist levels are available (the default for the new firmware) - but I can't increment the display up past number 12... Any reason why this is the case?

HughF said:
OK, couple of things I'm confused about on the latest firmware and SW102:

1. I set motor type to 'exp 36v' (To enable the experimental high cadence mode on my 36v motor) - can't seem to get more than 18mph/30kmh out of the motor before the assistance cuts out, I'm assuming this is hitting the 90rpm cadence limit. I have this motor on a single speed and with the previous firmware (the fork that supports the standard displays) I was able to hit about 45kmh before my legs ran out of up &down ability :)

2. 20 assist levels are available (the default for the new firmware) - but I can't increment the display up past number 12... Any reason why this is the case?
1. Check to see if you are hitting the max PWM value, cadence, etc. Would be great if you could compare this values between the firmwares and get technical detailed information about what can be different -- compare the source code of both.

2. Don't know, that does not happen to me. Try reset to defaults and see it that solves.

My First Real World Use Report for SW102 v0.6.8 & TSDZ2 v0.55, uncalibrated torque sensor

Background: Testing was solo on a dual trike, at windy temps colder than I normally ride (48°F, 8.9°C), so data collection was limited to 2.9 miles (4.7 km) of travel. All testing was done with the IGH locked on "5" which provides a 1 to 1 rpm setting. "0" Assist testing showed that I could comfortably generate 140W of power longer term and 160W for shorter intervals (both higher than I expect for an old man on a trike). A clamp-on amp meter at the battery was used to track power consumption, zero'd after power on.

The Story: Started out with the Assist settings at 0.020/0.040/0.060/etc. In Assist 1, the modest hill to leave home melted away, so stopped after 0.25 miles to adjust the settings to 0.010/0.020/0.030 (limited subsequent tests to levels 1-3, given the huge power being unleashed). Continued testing, and found that power was still flowing freely, as even pedaling down a very slight grade, human power was 40-60W and motor power power was 120-140W. Wow! Stopped again after another 0.25 miles and adjusted to 0.050/0.010/0.015. Next, on a slight uphill, human power went to 110-120W and motor power dropped to 60W or less. Huh? Clicked up to Assist 2 and that reversed that inverted trend. Eventually stopped and readjusted down & up multiple times with different conditions, settling on 0.012/0.024/0.036. These setting were retained for the rest of the testing.

At these settings on Assist 1, level ground was greatly over-assisted, while on a slight/modest hill, Assist confusingly dropped to half of human power from time to time, but, clicking to Assist 2 melted them away. On the big hill to climb back home, Assist 2 was doable, but a lot of work, BUT, clicking to Assist 3 caused this hill to melt away. The motor power indicator went to the vicinity of 750W, and I noted the amp meter with readings fluctuating around 16A. Finally, the motor casing was dead cold at every check along the route. I had a meeting coming up (plus no desire to be colder), but, if I had spent more time, I would have perhaps tried 0.006/0.012/0.018/0.024/0.036. Although, now that I think about it, I tried 0.007 on a mild hill and seemed to have felt no assist. 60°F (15.6°C) is in the forecast in a couple of days, so I'll collect more data then, perhaps dual, with particular attention to investigating that seeming inconsistency of power output.

Summary: First off, I didn't collect near as much power consumption data as planned, as I was uncomfortably cold, especially when I turned around into the wind, and, the apparent Assist inconsistency left me a bit befuddled, keeping my eyes off the amp reading and more focused on the Human vs Motor power variation. However, some significant observations were noted. Someone had reported: Assist settings above 0.200 seemed to reverse Assist level provided. As noted above, I never tested above an assist setting of 0.036 and I maxed out the power rating of the drive. Hhmmm? Someone had reported: Sometimes assist level seemed to go down when you pressed harder. Yep, definitely did, multiple times, depending on Assist level selected!!! Someone asked something like, ... Oooo, I can't remember: But, yes, on level to slight downward grades, I was almost traveling on the speed of thought!!! Too easy for exercise. Yes, I could flip to Assist 0, but, that adds to the ride management load.

Overall, I really like the addition of the three configurable info screens, BUT, I really miss the fact that the currently selected Assist level is not readily visible as I approach a hill (another ride management loading item). I really like the fact that the configuration screen requires a different key press, thus you can simply toggle between the info screens (was really important when going from config to info1 caused a joggle in the system, but, see note below.) Can hardly imaging effectively using 10 levels of Assist, much less 20, but, I see the point in casainho's split utilization. My main target is Level 1 - solo cruising, Level 2 - dual, leaving 3 and/or 4 for the somebody help me/us now situations. Generally, I let the tension build in the legs, so when I call for Assist, it is needed right now.

While preparing for the testing above yesterday, I did see the lights flicker a time or two when leaving the config screen to return to the main screen, but, no motor joggle. HOWEVER, today when powering on the display to collect info while typing this note, I experienced a short runaway, then, when leaving the config screen, a huge runaway. I'm glad the way I power on and change screens has my hand on a handle, as it had quite a few Watts of power behind it, thankfully momentarily.

Apologies, this note got longer as I typed and thought. Hopefully, it will provide some useful Developer/Tester insights.

Is there any news regarding the 2020 version of the motor, and the open source firmware, im edging to order a kit, but can’t figured out if it will work.

Danielwj said:
Is there any news regarding the 2020 version of the motor, and the open source firmware, im edging to order a kit, but can’t figured out if it will work.
Ask to the seller and then share with us.

windburner said:
My First Real World Use Report for SW102 v0.6.8 & TSDZ2 v0.55, uncalibrated torque sensor
First, calibrate the torque sensor.
Second, read the wiki and you will see you are doing the wrong compariton of human power vs motor power.
Third, yes, we can expect bugs and I will try to understand them and correct when possible.

casainho said:
Danielwj said:
Ask to the seller and then share with us.

;) Im pretty sure I won't get a straight answer out of the Chinese dude selling these on Ebay, they will say what brings them a sale.
Unfourthly its seems like I can only get my hand onto a 2020 version here in EU, so was really hopping some of you had tried the firmware out on the new version of the motor - After all, its only a matter of a couple of months, then it will be the only motor for all of us.

casainho said:
Second, read the wiki and you will see you are doing the wrong compariton of human power vs motor power.

Thanks for the comment, but it leaves me confused. I have been reading the wiki for a while now, but do not recall any specific discussion comparing human power to motor power. But, are the reading not simply an indication of the power being provided by the human versus the power being provided by the motor at any given time? Please provide a link to the exact location you reference when able, as the wiki is a bit convoluted. Thanks

P.S. The main page of the wiki has changed, as you noted in a recent posting, and I no longer see a clear path to the operating instructions.

I just upgraded to the v.0.6.8 on my SW102 and also v55 for the motor. I'm still getting the unintended motor power when exiting the configurations page. After I the motor blips and lurches, I see the little text on the screen saying the "motor is initializing" or something. I don't think the fix for this bug is working as intended.

windburner said:
casainho said:

Thanks for the comment, but it leaves me confused. I have been reading the wiki for a while now, but do not recall any specific discussion comparing human power to motor power. But, are the reading not simply an indication of the power being provided by the human versus the power being provided by the motor at any given time? Please provide a link to the exact location you reference when able, as the wiki is a bit convoluted. Thanks

P.S. The main page of the wiki has changed, as you noted in a recent posting, and I no longer see a clear path to the operating instructions.
Read the configurations page.

bynnek said:
I just upgraded to the v.0.6.8 on my SW102 and also v55 for the motor. I'm still getting the unintended motor power when exiting the configurations page. After I the motor blips and lurches, I see the little text on the screen saying the "motor is initializing" or something. I don't think the fix for this bug is working as intended.
Can you explain what you did when that did happen, step by step? Does it happen always to you?

Back