TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

hefest said:
Another video of improved overrun.

https://youtu.be/RIa_0ZvcBQE
Where are the technical details and or source code of that improvement?

casainho said:

User mbrusa on the Italian forum is doing some checks before releasing the new version. I asked him to share the code also here to get some feedback. If he decides not to do it.. you may find the code as soon as he release it on jobike forum.
http://www.jobike.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76426&whichpage=64

casainho said:
bynnek said:
I just upgraded to the v.0.6.8 on my SW102 and also v55 for the motor. I'm still getting the unintended motor power when exiting the configurations page. After I the motor blips and lurches, I see the little text on the screen saying the "motor is initializing" or something. I don't think the fix for this bug is working as intended.
Can you explain what you did when that did happen, step by step? Does it happen always to you?

I was inputting the calibration for the torque sensor. When I finished all the values, I tapped the power button to get back to main config screen, then I held the power button briefly to exit the config. Upon exiting the config menu, I got the power bump.

It does't happen normally when I enter or exit the configuration screen. I haven't been able to duplicate it now (but I haven't tried to re-input the torque calibration. It does however sometimes freeze in the configuration menu and I have to disconnect and then reconnect the battery to get it to work again.

could someone please confirm how to get into the configuration menu of the newest 850c firmware?

i tried PWR short + long press, UP+DOWN press, all kinds of things.

its driving me nuts.

edit: went back a few posts to see if something changed. i gotta say i was confused because i tried the 3 button press also but the unit kept shutting down. the real way to get to the menu is to press UP & DOWN, then immediately press power and hold until menu config comes up.

OK - what the hell is going on here. i flash the new firmware, setup my configs and change the temp sensor to throttle control. i exit menu and test the throttle a very little and the bike just LURCHES full power and wheel wont stop spinning. pretty much everyones ebike worst nightmare. it runs into my coffee table and spills a cup of wine onto my carpet. i had to go reach the battery shutoff, damaged my floors too.

can someone CONFIRM THAT THE THROTTLE IS WORKING!?

edit: FORTUNATELY im not insane and this is a reproducable problem. everytime you change the setting from "disabled" to "throttle" it starts behaving like this. BE CAREFUL!

ezrider1199 said:
OK - what the hell is going on here. i flash the new firmware, setup my configs and change the temp sensor to throttle control. i exit menu and test the throttle a very little and the bike just LURCHES full power and wheel wont stop spinning. pretty much everyones ebike worst nightmare. it runs into my coffee table and spills a cup of wine onto my carpet. i had to go reach the battery shutoff, damaged my floors too.

can someone CONFIRM THAT THE THROTTLE IS WORKING!?

edit: FORTUNATELY im not insane and this is a reproducable problem. everytime you change the setting from "disabled" to "throttle" it starts behaving like this. BE CAREFUL!
Thanks for reporting. I think it is unfortunate what did happen to you. I can't have throttle in my ebikes so I can't test the throttle... But I didn't changed the code related to throttle.

What I think is important is a BIG notice saying for users to test the first time with bicycle with wheels on the air and ready to hit the brakes and disable the battery power because this kind of issues can happen due to a bug in the firmware or incorrect configurations. This should be true for first time installation as also firmware updates.

i think what you said is very important about taking the proper precaution and being prepared-- i became too complacent about this. also i run a temperature sensor (via remote arduino and small oled display) because the throttle is a really important feature for me and i hope i am speaking for many other people too. might it be possible to test it on occasion or if someone reports bad behavior? also if the throttle is behaving this erratically, the root cause might be something else in the firmware thats worth testing.

more observations, testing with the wheel up:

the throttle exhibits strange behavior when you first enable it. however, when you enable the throttle and restart the unit, it seems fine (i havent taken it on the road test).

all this is testing after having just enabled the throttle and before any power cycles: just now i had the bike lurch exiting the config after enabling the throttle. also the throttle seems very powerful, it seems more gentle after the power cycle.

edit: i created issue #82 on github, please address when possible. i will go out on a road test later and report back. i already like the fact the buttons are more responsive, that was a huge deal for me. thanks for all.

casainho said:
Thanks for reporting. I think it is unfortunate what did happen to you. I can't have throttle in my ebikes so I can't test the throttle... But I didn't changed the code related to throttle.

What I think is important is a BIG notice saying for users to test the first time with bicycle with wheels on the air and ready to hit the brakes and disable the battery power because this kind of issues can happen due to a bug in the firmware or incorrect configurations. This should be true for first time installation as also firmware updates.

I have no throttle, and no brake sensors, and after 50-100m ride controller cut off power, and unable to power on by the press the button. It returns from dead state after unplug and plug the battery. It happens all times. FW 0.6.8

EDIT: ̶M̶y̶ ̶f̶a̶u̶l̶t̶, configuration cut off was set on 42V. ̶N̶o̶ issue.

EDIT2: after set to 36,4V it still happened.

EDIT3: My 850C is dead (bricked ?). No reaction.

EDIT4: 850C is alive, My battery BMS is crazy/damaged, or battery pack is dead. At 47,8V BMS cutting battery off. :confused:

Temperature sensor install problems

After installing lm35DZ temperature sensor I have some problems. Bought from eBay
Perhaps I wired wrong and Damaged some thing I may have caused a short or wired wrongly

I am using 36v motor , 850c display
V19 osf firmware on the controller , v05.bet7 osf firmware on the 850c display

The temperature sensor at first showed values of 469 which I know is incorrect

Eventually display does not turn on now

Looking for advice , do I need to replace the controller or display or both.?

There was no smell or magic smoke , but if I wired the temperature sensor wrong for example to 36v instead of 5v would this damage controller or display ?

Forgive me but it’s my first time modding the tsd

Thanks for any help.

Update : I can now turn on the 850C LCD briefly by connecting it to 36 Volts and ground and holding down the power button
It says waiting for TSDZ2 20 volts

When I connect the 850C display back to the controller
It says the same thing.

Do I need to get a new controller or flash the display again ?

What’s the test to verify the controller is good ?

Thanks

Update : I saw other poster with the same display symptoms had to order a new display.
So I’ve gone ahead and ordered a new 850c
Most likely I damaged the display.
I’ll need to be extra careful when wiring the temperature sensor if I decide to do it again.

Update :
I found my wiring error. I wired 36v Pl orange wire on the Bafang display harness to the temperature middle lead

I should have used this Bafang harness diagram and verified with a multimeter more carefully
In this case it was the blue wire.

974F7844-A6B8-43D8-900A-E6806B8D1BC6.png

Update :
New 850c Display works fine.

I fixed my temp sensor lm35 wiring issue and that is working fine now.

Pic of the burned components in the old not working 850C LCD display. Look near bottom left of the last pic.
How easy to fix this ?
Worth a try ?

59F4989E-265D-4137-B219-D7DE902BD000.jpeg

7551C1C4-EB89-40D9-83A8-5A2BFD3A33FF.jpeg

casainho said:
1. Check to see if you are hitting the max PWM value, cadence, etc. Would be great if you could compare this values between the firmwares and get technical detailed information about what can be different -- compare the source code of both.

2. Don't know, that does not happen to me. Try reset to defaults and see it that solves.

1. I will take it for a ride at the weekend and see what I am hitting the maximum on, either pwm or cadence. Unfortunately I cannot easily test back to back with the vlcd6 I had before as I cut the cable off that to solder onto the SW102.

2. I reset the defaults and it went up to level 20 after a reset. I took it for a small ride and then when I got back it would not go above 12 again. I think I did the ride on level 10 if I remember correctly. I will try and find what causes this to be repeatable.

I get random lockups when navigating the configuration menu, usually when trying to exit a sub-menu.

mbrusa said:
casainho said:
hefest said:
Another video of improved overrun.

https://youtu.be/RIa_0ZvcBQE

As soon as I'm done, I'll post the code and description of the change.
Regards

I would also be very much interested in this improvement. I think flexible firmware works great already but this improvement will make it even more reactive.

Had an interesting situation today.
Powered bike and everything looked fine. Once i started pedalling i noticed there is no assistance at all. Display (sw102) went black. Tried powering the display again, no luck. After several attempts display came back to life and I started riding. Very quickly while riding I noticed display powered down again, but this time the motor assistance was not stopping. I tried braking (i have brake sensors) as hard as I can but the damn thing would not stop, motor was still pushing forward. When I finally stopped everything was dead. Display wont power up, led indicator on battery was not working.

I removed the battery and switched it off and than back on, led display on battery is now working. As soon as I put the battery on the bike it stops working. After power cycling battery led indicator is again on. Battery is showing correct voltage in on positions with multimeter.

I tested battery pins on the bike and there is short circuit. Stripped down battery holder connector and the one on the motor. Now when i test power leads with multimeter on the motor it's showing short circuit. Is this normal? Can someone test on their own motor if power leads are showing short circuit?

I inspected motor wires and everything looks ok, nothing damaged that could cause short circuit.

hefest said:
Powered bike and everything looked fine. Once i started pedalling i noticed there is no assistance at all. Display (sw102) went black. Tried powering the display again, no luck. After several attempts display came back to life and I started riding. Very quickly while riding I noticed display powered down again, but this time the motor assistance was not stopping. I tried braking (i have brake sensors) as hard as I can but the damn thing would not stop, motor was still pushing forward. When I finally stopped everything was dead. Display wont power up, led indicator on battery was not working.

I removed the battery and switched it off and than back on, led display on battery is now working. As soon as I put the battery on the bike it stops working. After power cycling battery led indicator is again on. Battery is showing correct voltage in on positions with multimeter.

I tested battery pins on the bike and there is short circuit. Stripped down battery holder connector and the one on the motor. Now when i test power leads with multimeter on the motor it's showing short circuit. Is this normal? Can someone test on their own motor if power leads are showing short circuit?

I inspected motor wires and everything looks ok, nothing damaged that could cause short circuit.
Seems to me that the power source is failing. Maybe the BMS is cutting the power for any of the reasons it should do it.

About the motor assistance not stopping, that is something I need to improve on motor and display firmware. I need first to figure out current issues and then make motor stop if there are no communications between motor and display.

casainho said:
hefest said:

Seems to me that the power source is failing. Maybe the BMS is cutting the power for any of the reasons it should do it.

About the motor assistance not stopping, that is something I need to improve on motor and display firmware. I need first to figure out current issues and then make motor stop if there are no communications between motor and display.

Thanks for the tip.
Can you please test for short circuit on the motor power leads?
I'm hesitant on trying to connect the battery again if there is a short circuit somewhere in the motor.

PS: when I'm putting the powered battery to the battery holder I can clearly hear sparking.

Can you please test for short circuit on the motor power leads.

I have tested my motor and get no continuity between the positive + negative terminals with the battery removed.

andrewgateway said:
Can you please test for short circuit on the motor power leads.

I have tested my motor and get no continuity between the positive + negative terminals with the battery removed.

Thanks,

Well that's strange. I've disassembled motor and looked into the motor controller everything is looking normal, not burnt out anywhere. I also connected controller to computer and flashed 0.55.0 again without issue. Not sure what to do next.

I'm thinking of replacing the power wires that are going to controller maybe.

Another thing, motor is resisting pushing the bike back (when unpowered).

on the latest 850c firmware, i encountered this situation where the 850c turned on and it would give read outs except the speed looked very high like 28mph when i was going like <10mph. also throttle and assist would not work. i would get power read outs and other stats but the motor wouldnt spin. i had to reset the values back to defaults to get everything working. very strange behavior, i dont know how i can reproduce it but would like to share it in case anyone else has encountered similar.

shodr said:
One more question. I do not want to splice the display cable on VLCD 5 but want to use cable like 1t4 sold by
https://www.electrifybike.com/store/p116/1_to_4__Female_Cable_for_TSDZ2_Open_Source_Firmware_%28OSF%29__Upgrade.html#/
but he does not deliver to my country, Slovenia. Is there an alternative source.

Regards.

That cable that adapts a TSDZ2 that came with a stock 8-pin display like VLCD5/XH-18 to Bafang style 850C/SW102 displays without rewiring was custom designed and made for Electrify Bike Co. The product page on Electrify Bike web site has been updated to allow international shipping on that part. Just read the directions for international shipping on the product page. https://www.electrifybike.com/store/p116/1_to_4__Female_Cable_for_TSDZ2_Open_Source_Firmware_%28OSF%29__Upgrade.html#/

The standard 8-pin TSDZ2 has a male connector on the controller side so it needs this special female cable harness to adapt to 850C/SW102 displays. The cable also remaps the wiring internally from TSDZ2 mapping to Bafang style mapping so that Bafang displays, throttles, and brake sensors will all work with a TSDZ2.

If you buy a TSDZ2 with an 850C display then you do not need this cable, it is already set up Bafang style. The controller has a female 8-pin connector like Bafang and the wires are already mapped like Bafang. I hope this helps.

Hello. I compared osf with ktlcd3 0.20 with sw120 0.6.8. it seems to me that the support is a lot weaker, at 0.6.8 I can not get in a flat flat drive higher than 300W, the greater the cadence, the greater the pressure on the pedals the heavier. at 0.20 I press harder and I have more power. the same way, the same gear and at 0.20 gets 500W. even stronger than 760W. I do not like this. I am considering returning, unfortunately, to 0.20 on ktlcd3 :(

hefest said:
So I would say there is a short circuit on the motor coils or on the 3 motor phase wires. Disconnect the phase wires from the motor controller and test again. The motor will resist to turn by hand while it is in short circuit.

casainho said:
hefest said:
So I would say there is a short circuit on the motor coils or on the 3 motor phase wires. Disconnect the phase wires from the motor controller and test again. The motor will resist to turn by hand while it is in short circuit.

Ok, I've concluded that the controllee is dead. I'm going to measure motor coils as well. Any ideas what kind of rating should I expect when I meassure resistance on coils?

Does anyone know if it is possible to display imperial units for distance (miles, MPH etc) whilst also displaying temperature in degrees C. These are the preferred units here in UK. I cant get my head around the Fahrenheit scale any more. Thanks

Jonesm32 said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to display imperial units for distance (miles, MPH etc) whilst also displaying temperature in degrees C. These are the preferred units here in UK. I cant get my head around the Fahrenheit scale any more. Thanks
No.

Back