SoCal Motor Bicycle Race Sat Oct 22nd 2011 Grange Race Track

Farfle said:
MotorBicycleRacing said:
Farfle said:
Dirt track sections! pleeease! :D
So you are coming to the race?

Absolutely, although I have not signed up yet, where do i go?
I am going to announce payment and entry reservation info very soon.
It's 40 days to go and I need to raise $750 for the track deposit.

Realistically there probably will not be a dirt section this Oct 22nd race
but it is possible at future races. The next race will be in April or May.

What kind of bike are you racing? What motor set up and hp output?

MotorBicycleRacing said:

its a full suspension mountain bike, 20" Kenda Kraze tires and a rear C-lyte hubmotor set up to do 8.20Kw cont.

[edit] Do we need a physical rear brake? I have a pretty serious regen brake on the back [edit]

Farfle said:
MotorBicycleRacing said:

its a full suspension mountain bike, 20" Kenda Kraze tires and a rear C-lyte hubmotor set up to do 8.20Kw cont.

[edit] Do we need a physical rear brake? I have a pretty serious regen brake on the back [edit]
Rear brake would be good. :D
Sorry, but I have a problem with your tire choice.
The very few race rules are on page one of this thread.
I replied to your thread about your race bike and I copied it below.
I have to draw the line somewhere and allowing Pirelli ML 75 tires is it.

The tire of choice for a bicycle tire is Maxxis Hook Worms.
1) eBike:
SoSauty wrote:
generally <9K peak input, 8.1K output almost 11 electric hp
dual motors sum <9K
Turnigy's, Colossus, Astros, others,
<9K input for hubbies C9s, 53XXs, Stoke Monkey, BMC, others

No real motorcycle tires allowed. Bicycle tires only.

Farfle wrote:
Building a bike to race in the upcoming SoCal race, heres some specs:
Tires: 20" Kenda Kraze 20x3 on a 32mm rim in the front and a 44mm rim in the back.

Would that be the SoCal race at the Grange Track on Oct 22nd?

Your tires are not approved.
The original race rule was bicycle tires only with no real motorcycle tires allowed.

I have allowed Pirelli ML75 2.5 x 16" tires as long as they are on bicycle rims.
The Pirellis come in 2.75 too but I am not allowing their use to keep the guys
using 26 " bicycle tires happy.

Aside from the tire rule there is only a hp limit of equivalence to a 11 hp gas bike.

The kenda kraze tires are a fatty BMX/chopper tire, not a motorcycle tire. Hence why they are labeled 20x3 not 2.75-16 as are moped and motorcycle tires.

So no motorcycle tires but the pirelli motorcycle tires are allowed :-S not surprising those using bicycle tires over at motorbicycling are pissed, why bother with rules at all if your not going to enforce them? fyi...the motorcycle tires are a big advantage regardless what rim they are on, you ruled no motorcycle tires, stick with that, if 2 people don't like it tuff shit, it's meant to be a motored BICYCLE race after all..

ChoppersUs sell the Kendra tire IIRC, regardless they are 100% a bicycle tire...

KiM

Not helping myself out much here, They used to be viewable on Kenda's website under "comfort" but it looks like they are not made anymore. but they have been remade in a different tread pattern as the Kenda Flame in 20x3" 24x3" and 26x2.125". here is a few spots where you can find the Kenda Flame:

http://performance-downhill.com/Kenda-Flame-BMX-20-x-3.0/M/B0029XM42I.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=froogle

http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Flame-Wire-Bead-Black/dp/B0029XM42I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1315786996&sr=8-3

http://lightenupbikes.com/kenda-3-0-flame-tread-tire.aspx

Farfle said:
The kenda kraze tires are a fatty BMX/chopper tire, not a motorcycle tire. Hence why they are labeled 20x3 not 2.75-16 as are moped and motorcycle tires.
Yeah they are bicycle tires so no problem. Sorry about the mix up.
looks like Kenda doesn't make the Craze model anymore.
Kenda flame tires always looked pretty junky to me.

Your race bike looks like a fun good handling ride.

Farfle said:
Not helping myself out much here, They used to be viewable on Kenda's website under "comfort" but it looks like they are not made anymore. but they have been remade in a different tread pattern as the Kenda Flame in 20x3" 24x3" and 26x2.125". here is a few spots where you can find the Kenda Flame:

http://performance-downhill.com/Kenda-Flame-BMX-20-x-3.0/M/B0029XM42I.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=froogle

http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Flame-Wire-Bead-Black/dp/B0029XM42I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1315786996&sr=8-3

http://lightenupbikes.com/kenda-3-0-flame-tread-tire.aspx

That profile of tire is the last thing you want for a kart-track bro. Unless you could fit it to a narrow enough rim that it bows in tight to put some crown on it and make it less wide.

My pirelli scooter tire on a normal width BMX rim is just a touch over 2in wide when mounted, but it gives loads of good crown and side contact area. This is what lets you safely rail corners.

Farfle,

Regen brakes, Cool 8)

Can you skid the rear tire when using the front brakes? How much juice do you think you can put back in the batt pack on a track? A hubbie w/ regen braking, no chain to worry about breaking :!:

I plan to not run a FW and use the motor for controlled sliding/ backing into turns this Oct. with an Astro3220. My rear brake will become a decorative item :p

PS Bring Paul_D down with you when you come, he's from around Oregon somewhere. Hear he's got a really fast Turnigy80-100 to run :wink:

Nah, the regen is somewhat of an E-ABS it can't completely lock the wheel unless its off the ground

Farfle said:
MotorBicycleRacing said:

From what i hear, the regen braking does not brake much. Do you have any SPECIAL regen system in your bike?

I lost track of where I read info about competition numbers for this event. I tried reading back through the different threads on this event and got a little lost at this point with the multiple pages in each. So I can't quote the exact wording I saw, and I don't know how good my memory is after several head injuries. :lol: But I seem to recall reading something about certain numbers being reserved for gassers and others for ebikes. Is it at all possible to get #64? I seem to recall that this number landed somewhere in the gassers category of numbers. That has been my race number for years, and I have built kind of a brand around it. One of the reasons that I am doing this race is to continue to promote EVs and I want to use my previous branding to help with this.

wojtek said:
From what i hear, the regen braking does not brake much. Do you have any SPECIAL regen system in your bike?

Different setups can vary the amount of regen percentage. Some people don't have their percentage set all the way, so they will get less regen braking than others. Also, most regen is on the rear wheel, and you don't get as much braking from the rear wheel as you do from the front wheel, regardless of what type of braking system you are using. Weight transfer and momentum dictate that you can only apply so much to the rear wheel.

wojtek said:

If I turn it up the regen can and will lock the back tire but after some testing it works best as somewhat of a compression brake, and it regens about 10-15 amps which is pushing a 10 Ah pack pretty hard.

Jay64 said:
But I seem to recall reading something about certain numbers being reserved for gassers and others for ebikes. Is it at all possible to get #64? I seem to recall that this number landed somewhere in the gassers category of numbers. That has been my race number for years, and I have built kind of a brand around it. One of the reasons that I am doing this race is to continue to promote EVs and I want to use my previous branding to help with this.
Gas bikes that were in the Willow Springs race have already been assigned most of the numbers from 0 to 99.

Ebikes get from 100 to 130 so please pick one.

100-liveforphysics
101-Etard
102-
103-Stevil_Knevil
104-
105-SoSauty
106-
107-shinyballs
108-Grifftek
109-
110-
111-Evoforce
112-
113-
114-
115-
116-Farfle
117-Dan
123-Dennis
130-RWP
140-Thud

I can't see the day that there will be 30 eBikes at a race?
Do you think there will be 15 eBikes at the Oct 22nd race?

When most of the gas bike numbers from 0 to 99 are full I am
going to let them use up to 199

There is another whole class of bikes that may be using 200 and up
and there probably will be more of them than ebikes.

I am riding #140
Since my usual #40 is in the wrong fule brand...my China girl will also be wearing the same #140

I am confused as to the signifigance of the # to anything......beginer racers are instructed to use the last 3 didgits of their licence #. I started out as old #833 for a few years in my AMA career. (never bothered to take any # earned in state compititoins) but My AHRMA motocross & flattrack # was 20..I haven't kept that ticket current for the last few years though....

Dam wished I could come.... Its going to be next year for me though.. :(

Arlo1 said:

If you can make it down to Oregon, I bet PaulD will give you a ride to SF area, where he is meeting with me and some friends to carpool the rest of the way.

liveforphysics said:
Arlo1 said:

If you can make it down to Oregon, I bet PaulD will give you a ride to SF area, where he is meeting with me and some friends to carpool the rest of the way.

For sure, west coast riders coming from anywhere north of Ashland, OR, can meet up here and carpool down to meet up with the Bay Area carpool.

Back